• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Gauge Readings

rmp301

Reaction score
City, State
Yonkers, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Filled up the Ex today and left the engine running, only to find when I got in, I only filled up to 3/4 a tank of gas. Funny ............. The nozzle clicked off, so it must be full. My son has a 2010 Fusion ......... He said that it gives him a false fuel tank level as well if left running. Sure enough, after using the truck about 15 minutes, the gauge slowly crept up to the "F" mark and has remained there since. A fluke or just another high tech burp brought to you by Ford?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They're design to do that so that when your going around corners, starting/stopping and going up/down hills, the fuel gauge isn't jump jumping all over the place. By being delayed, the fuel gauge then gives you a more constant accurate tank level.

^ That struck me as odd too.

They probably smoke and use their cell phone the whole time while lighting fireworks also :D

Vehicles here may not be left running while being refueled. My fuel gauge immediately shows a full tank when I start the Explorer after a full tank fill up.

Not a "high tech burp brought to you by ford"...It's because you left it running to fill. If you shut it down and fill it, it will read correctly when you start the vehicle.

Bottom line is don't leave the vehicle running when filling it.

OK Guys .......... Thanks ........ You are all right ........ I wanted to see if it would register the correct amount and I left it running to see what would happen. Sorry
I will never leave the truck running when refueling again

My 03 did it today with the vehicle off.

Never seen a vehicle do that...before today of course. Took a solid 15 minutes to get from 1/4 to full.

Fuel Gauge Delay

I filled my 2012 Explorer Limited up on a road trip this week. It was 1/4 full and I pulled in, shut down, got out and filled it with gas until the pump shut off. I stared it and drove out and the gauge read 1/2 full. 5 miles later still half full, 15 miles or so later 3/4 full and after about 20 minutes of highway driving it read full.

Innacurate fuel gauge

Hi guys,

Haven't posted anything in a while, but I am again in need of guidance.

The electronic fuel gauge on my 2011 explorer has been stuck halfway for 2 days now after my last fill up. Whenever I cycle the key it does its normal cycle of going all the way up and then it goes to half tank. I drove it all day yesterday and refilled the tank again with the same results.

My next step would be to disconnect the battery and hope that may reset something, but I wanted to check in and see if anyone might have some more insight into the matter. I did a search in the forum, but came up empty (no pun intended).

Thanks,

Max

stuck fuel sensor/float in the tank not allowing it to travel up and down fully.

Hi guys,

Haven't posted anything in a while, but I am again in need of guidance.

The electronic fuel gauge on my 2011 explorer has been stuck halfway for 2 days now after my last fill up. Whenever I cycle the key it does its normal cycle of going all the way up and then it goes to half tank. I drove it all day yesterday and refilled the tank again with the same results.

My next step would be to disconnect the battery and hope that may reset something, but I wanted to check in and see if anyone might have some more insight into the matter. I did a search in the forum, but came up empty (no pun intended).

Thanks,

Max

Float is stuck in the tank... once you run the tank below where it is stuck it should correct itself, if it continues to happen on future fill ups take it to the dealer.

Fuel Gauge Question

I have noticed my fuel guage will show ie. full and when I shut off exp and then restart fuel guage will show lower than what was shown before.
By just a little as if it was on the full line now it just a tad below the line.
Has anyone noticed this on their exp ?

I've never paid attention to it to be honest and isn't anything that would concern me. I'm sure that this is normal, even with analog gauges.

Peter

Do you park on a hill?

Just took a long trip stopped at rest stop guage read 1/2 thought I was good got back on the road leaving rest area looked down noticed I was under 1/2 ,bar was under the line of 1/2 . Not worried two much but just asking what is the real reading before or after ?

Bad fuel guage reading

2011 with 39,800 miles . Wife fills it up , heads home and notices the guage is reading 1/2 tank. She heads out today and calls to see if I had filled it up as it was reading full now . I take it for a spin and it is reading full . Stop a station and it holds 1.2 gallons , get in and it reads 1/2 tank and 187 miles to empty . Anyone else ran into this ? All the other electronic displays are ok .

Delayed Reading after Fueling

Me too. 2013 Sport with 18,000mi, and this past fillup it only registered 1/2 tank (165 mi to EMPTY). then, after half a day, it fixed itself.
Stuck Sender float?
Must be the new $239.9/gal "Sticky fuel".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011 with 39,800 miles . Wife fills it up , heads home and notices the guage is reading 1/2 tank. She heads out today and calls to see if I had filled it up as it was reading full now . I take it for a spin and it is reading full . Stop a station and it holds 1.2 gallons , get in and it reads 1/2 tank and 187 miles to empty . Anyone else ran into this ? All the other electronic displays are ok .

Me too. 2013 Sport with 18,000mi, and this past fillup it only registered 1/2 tank (165 mi to EMPTY). then, after half a day, it fixed itself.
Stuck Sender float?
Must be the new $239.9/gal "Sticky fuel".

Hi, folks!

I'd bring this up to your dealership if it continues to happen; I'm sure they'd be happy to check things out. If you decide to go that route, be sure to come back and post your results. I'll be here in case you need my assistance. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back