Fuel Injector issue - misfires - | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Injector issue - misfires -

Napalm

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
SO out of the blue my 2016 Ford explorer started rough running and throwing a CEL.

107345 miles - 5 years old

3.5 TI-VCT, 2wd

anyway code scans our of forscan brings up

P0206 - injector 6 A circuit open
PO306 - misfire detected cylinder 6
P0313 - misfire detected with Low fuel - odd as the tank was 1/4 full at the time
And odd as I don't know how long this has been an issue

B1448 - Right Rear Stop light - sure enough it doesn't light.

Anyway haven't done much else with it - BMS says battery contition 93% which I am surprised at - reported voltage at idle was 12.65 seems normal - DVM says same.

Looking around it seems full intake off to get to them and replacement. While at it I think I'll trade out the plugs too due to age. I got an injector and 6 plugs with boots.

Anyone else see these issues - or have similar. I don't see alot of injector failures but there are some and well they did make a few million of these engine sets.

Thanks again and I hope all have a merry christmas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've replaced a few over the years including one on my personal 2009 Flex with the same engine, no rhyme or reason to it either. Good plan on the plugs and boots but don't forget to get gaskets for the upper intake also.

SO out of the blue my 2016 Ford explorer started rough running and throwing a CEL.

107345 miles - 5 years old

3.5 TI-VCT, 2wd

anyway code scans our of forscan brings up

P0206 - injector 6 A circuit open
PO306 - misfire detected cylinder 6
P0313 - misfire detected with Low fuel - odd as the tank was 1/4 full at the time
And odd as I don't know how long this has been an issue

B1448 - Right Rear Stop light - sure enough it doesn't light.

Anyway haven't done much else with it - BMS says battery contition 93% which I am surprised at - reported voltage at idle was 12.65 seems normal - DVM says same.

Looking around it seems full intake off to get to them and replacement. While at it I think I'll trade out the plugs too due to age. I got an injector and 6 plugs with boots.

Anyone else see these issues - or have similar. I don't see alot of injector failures but there are some and well they did make a few million of these engine sets.

Thanks again and I hope all have a merry christmas.
It would make sense that an injector open-circuited would be squirting NO FUEL into it's cylinder, thus "misfire (no fire)" and "low fuel". Yer runnin' on 5 cylinders!

Update. OK to to get to the injectors you do indeed have to take the upper manifold off. Minor issue really but still a good bit of unhooking.

Part 2 - cylinder order is indeed. 4 5 6 on the front of the explorer with 1 2 3 on the back. cylinder numbers not fire order.

You do not have to pull the fuel rail line off to move it. we tried to get the spring clip line off on the RH side (standing in front of car) - but turns out there is enough flex motion in the feed hose that you can get the rail up and out with the injectors out and not disconnect fuel

What that does do however is spray ab and leak our the rail when you pull the injector free.

Next bit - ohm testing the injectors. most ran 15 ohm give or take 0.4. but the bad one on my car was indeed "open" reading nothing or max. My DVM when it is open or not connected shows an 0 with a dash. Or you can turn on the tone and it will beep when there is connection.

So indeed bad injector and it's end was dry - IE it wasn't spraying anything an d hasn't for a few days.

OK so new injector was from Autozone - GP Sorenson. I had a hard time finding a injector for the car in my area - few stores had one. Dealer wanted 145 for theirs - wasn't doing that. I seem to see where Bosch makes the OE parts - but oddly the one I pulled out had a Delphi logo on it. go figure. Anyway. GP sorenson part had a 3 year warranty and get this - was made in america. I was shocked too.

Forscan clear codes - car started easy. OH and replaced all 6 plugs while I was there. yeah.

So far so good.

Was this the injector part #BR3Z-9F593-B? It's $30.09 at AutoNation Ford.

Peter

Was this the injector part #BR3Z-9F593-B? It's $30.09 at AutoNation Ford.

Peter

Yes - however my dealer that had one is stock near me - wanted 145 for it. TASCA parts and other online stores have it around 33-35 - and amazingly 2-6 days away from me. so in my hand for 1 injector the cost moves up to 50 dollars or more to get it next day.

Rockauto - similar issue - more choices.

Amazingly Autozone part - made in the US - was cheapest in my hand that day. that's what I want to emphasize here.

Back