• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Injector

joebroni99

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 AWD 5.0
So I found the head gasket was leaking so i went ahead to reseal the engine. Now of course im not the smartest guy and I am easily frustrated. I was trying to assemble the fuel rail back to the lower intake and cracked a pintle cap. 1: How the hell do i assemble the fuel rail to the lim without forcing it too hard and breaking another cap? 2: Is there anywhere I can get the cap or am I stuck getting another injector?

Joe C

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a set of injectors off an old motor.. If your interested in some of them , I'll check the box of parts and see how they look.. I don't want much for them.. just enough to cover postage and driving to town to send them out..

As for getting them to install.. I lubed the o-rings with SuperLube which is just a lubricant with ptfe. I was planning on using food oil but turns out we were out of it (corn or olive)..

The 1st time we put it together we did rip an o-ring (top).. When we did the work a 2nd time (one of the rebuild heads was cracked) we put the lower intake, fuel injectors and fuel rail together off the vehicle. It made it so much easier...

~Mark

I found a pic of a pair of them that I took a while ago..

2727080278_bcd6b27083.jpg

~Mark

I just tracked em down at a local auto parts store. They sell the caps with a seal kit for $4 bucks. So Im good to go with that. I have both the lower intake and the rail out the car and in my basement. Which part should I put the injectors in first the lim or the fuel rail? The first time I put them in the fuel rail then pushed em into the lim. and I didnt use any lube so thats prob part of it. hopefully I could do it right this time. Oh and also is their anything I should be doing or changing while I have the engine halfway apart?

Joe C.

Fuel Injectors

If you have the time and money you can send the injectors out to be cleaned and tested, otherwise you should at least use an ohm meter and check the resistance of each, it should be somewhere between 13.5 - 19 ohms. Always replace the O-Rings they get dry and hard. The new ones go together easier and won't leak. Use light weight oil to lubriccate them, no silicone. Clean everything and check the lower intake manifold for pitting arround the water ports. Install the lower intake gasket properly with RTV sealant. You have to put a bead of sealant on the four corners of the engine block where the manifold joins the block. Haynes recommends RTV arroud the water ports and the front sealing surface as well. Position the gasket over the alignment studs on the block and put a bead of RTV on the gasket at the four corners. Install the LIM over the alignment studs. My car didn't have the studs it only had bolts, I purchase threaded rod with the same thread and cut them down to align the LIM, make sure they are long enough so you can remove them.Dry fit the LIM a few times before you do the final install, its not so easy to position. Install the bolts and torque them in the correct sequence in three steps. The 95 and earlier 4.0 is 72 in.lbs/ 144 in. lbs/192 in. lbs.

Replace all gaskets as you go. I put the injectors in rail first. Torque everthig in the right sequence and specification. Clean all bolts and threaded holes to get proper torque and tightenig sequence pattern is critical. Have fun they are great cars to work on.

Yea I checked all the injectors and they are looking good. I gave them a cleaner bath and removed all the gunk out of them. I just installed the heads, lim and headers. :) Its starting to go smooth now. Im thinking today or tomorrow I'll have her put all back together. I broke a few things though that I'm gona have to fix. Like a few vacuum lines. And also the alternator wire I have to repair. Other than that its actually gone alot smoother than I figured it would.

Back