Fuel Leak and Stalling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Leak and Stalling

Reaction score
City, State
Norcross,GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
Overnight I got a fuel leak up front. Have a puddle on the driveway after I started. I wasn’t aware of all that until I drove. Didn’t even get out of the neighborhood and the engine began sputtering then died. I could restart and went back home.
I don’t even know where to begin diagnosis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don’t start the truck or run the truck.

Find the leak. Turn the key to the “on “ position. This should turn on the fuel pump and pressurize the fuel system. Remove the plastic cover on the top of the engine. You should be able to find the fuel leak, as it seems substantial.

Good luck, and be safe.

If you can not find it by turning the key you can make a jumper on the FP relay and let the pump run none stop until you find the leak, you jump form the left to right pole when standing in front of truck. Use extreme caution as hooking and unhooking the jumper can cause a small spark or arc. Look around the injectors and the fuel pressure regulator you should also be able to see the fuel lines coming up from the driver side and turn into rubber or braided lines as well, im not really sure what else could randomly start leaking fuel like that to be honest!

Don’t start the truck or run the truck.

Find the leak. Turn the key to the “on “ position. This should turn on the fuel pump and pressurize the fuel system. Remove the plastic cover on the top of the engine. You should be able to find the fuel leak, as it sound like it is substantial.

Good luck, and be safe.
Thanks!

If you can not find it by turning the key you can make a jumper on the FP relay and let the pump run none stop until you find the leak, you jump form the left to right pole when standing in front of truck. Use extreme caution as hooking and unhooking the jumper can cause a small spark or arc. Look around the injectors and the fuel pressure regulator you should also be able to see the fuel lines coming up from the driver side and turn into rubber or braided lines as well, im not really sure what else could randomly start leaking fuel like that to be honest!
Thanks!

Back