fuel mileage after new heads and such | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fuel mileage after new heads and such

mr cribb

US Army Retired
Reaction score
City, State
Naylor, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Z71, 89 stepside
I have had my Exploder for almost 3 years now. During this time I averaged 17-17.5 in town and around 21 on highway. I put a little over 30k miles on my truck before I fell victim to water pump failure, clutch fan failure, head gasket and head cracking.(I got it all at once :()

My drivetrain: stock motor(as in cam, pistons etc), 5 speed, 2wd, and open diff 3.27 gears, motorcraft platinum plugs, motorcraft wires, mobil1 full synthetic oil.

Modifications: headers, home made air intake, magnaflow muffler and 2.25" pipes

I bought new heads, gaskets, headers and y pipe (because the manifold bolts weren't coming off, and I cut the old y pipe to get old heads off). I thoroughly cleaned the upper and lower intakes getting all the carbon build up off.

This past Friday was my first week of driving my explorer again after all the new stuff. This was 99% highway driving at the speed limit, easy shifting around 2k-2500 rpm and recorded 390ish miles on a tank of gas. (I am not looking at my receipt right now to annotate the exact figures.)

I filled up and put in a little over 17 gallons, and figured my mileage at 22.6 mpg!

So if you round up the tenths position for the sake of whole numbers, that is 23 mpg from a wore out 92 explorer with 226k miles on lower end, crappy worn out suspension, crappy used tires (aired to spec). I never thought it was possible.

On this tank compared to the rest I gained 1.6 mpg. I would say that is really dad-gum good for a truck that is over 21 years old.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good job fixing your Ex and getting her on the road again!

I gained over 2 when I replaced my heads, so you are not alone. I love my truck more and more as I knock out issues and freshen it up and it responds by running better and better. I also love the fact that I have done almost all the maintenance on my own and I can fix most things on it, as opposed to most newer rigs that require more computer skills than wrenching skills!

Good job fixing your Ex and getting her on the road again!

I gained over 2 when I replaced my heads, so you are not alone. I love my truck more and more as I knock out issues and freshen it up and it responds by running better and better. I also love the fact that I have done almost all the maintenance on my own and I can fix most things on it, as opposed to most newer rigs that require more computer skills than wrenching skills!

Thanks, it had to have been a couple stupid mistakes I did, but it is all done and over with now. I am with you on older and simple vehicles, skip the unnecessary computer stuff.

I re-fueled again yesterday, not all the way empty 287 miles( a little more than 1/4 tank left) and 11.765 gallons. I figured this one at 24.39 mpg. Again all highway this trip involved more 65-70 mph, and about 5 miles total of stop and go city traffic.

Cool.
Must be my lead foot & maybe higher speed limits & traffic. My lighter 2 door does not get 17/21....more like 15/17. Sometimes worse. Same gears.

Cool.
Must be my lead foot & maybe higher speed limits & traffic. My lighter 2 door does not get 17/21....more like 15/17. Sometimes worse. Same gears.

It also helps I live in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma with less traffic. When I lived in NC and outside Nashville, TN there was no way to not speed due to the other drivers aggravating me.

Living in Florida I'm sure the slow pokes aggravate the HELL out of you.

Great mileage. My 4WD auto can't touch that!

What model (year) heads do you use again?I can't remember if you used 95tm but if you did that would explain it, motor woukd be 10% more efficient.

What model (year) heads do you use again?I can't remember if you used 95tm but if you did that would explain it, motor woukd be 10% more efficient.

Got 'em from Clearwater, said I needed some for a 92. I'm not running premium gas, no knocks or pings.

So I don't know what was sent, I just know it's running and get good mileage.

Got 'em from Clearwater, said I needed some for a 92. I'm not running premium gas, no knocks or pings.

So I don't know what was sent, I just know it's running and get good mileage.

Gotcha. .good to hear tho;)

Back