fuel pump just died...what's next? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fuel pump just died...what's next?

spotted dogs

Reaction score
City, State
merritt, bc, canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ltd 4.0 sohc
After 178k kms my fuel pump died...stranding me with my 2yr old daughter, 2 week old son and dog...not the greatest circumstances but I am glad it was me not my wife and in town. Anyway, I'm not moaning about the pump...things do wear out. BUT what i am more concerned about is the nagging feeling I now have about what is next! I love the truck but I am not particularly keen to put my mechanics two kids through university if you know what I mean! I change the oil regularly and the tranny fluid....what should I be preparing myself for? And what can I do preventative wise.

as a side bar, the pump just died...the fuel tank was clean, filter clean etc.
thanks all

Having a fuel pump go bad isn't rare. I had mine go out with about 100,000 miles or so. Things that need to be replaced on the 1995-2001 Explorers often times are the upper and/or lower balljoints, hub/wheel bearing assembly, and of course the usual stuff like a IAC (Idle Air Controller) plus plugs & wires. Don't forget to flush & fill the transfer case and the differential fluids. The hub assembly is probably the most expensive, I replaced mine and it cost me about $180 for it and it took me about 1.5 hours to do. If you look in the Useful thread section of this forum, its listed on the main page, there is a nice section of useful threads on repairing the 1995-2001 Explorers.

Are you sure it's the pump that's bad? Check the fuel pump relay and make sure the inertia switch didn't trip. Also, make sure the plug is firmly attached to the bottom of the switch. I've seen more fuel pump relays go bad, than the pump itself. Unfortunately, some people replace the pump and still haven't fixed the problem. A fuel pump relay is about $7 versus $200 for the pump. Good luck.

the next things

I replaced the passenger side wheel bearings a while ago...plugs at the recommended service interval and all the fluids (t-case, tranny etc at 99 and 150k ish).
I am pretty sure it was the pump...my mechanic is someone I trust (excellent reputation in a small town) and he said the pump was dead and he replaced it...
as far as replacing plugs and wires again..any suggestions as to types? It seems everyone has their favorites?
cheers,

Back