fuel pump primes, but won't turn over | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fuel pump primes, but won't turn over

dmr1203

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 eddie bauer
Guys,

My 96EB won't start. I turn the key, and hear the fuel pump prime, so not a relay or pump problem. It is a new battery, and I replaced the cable connections to the post. It acts like it is out of gas(and the tank is almost full).

I have had a check engine light on for a couple of weeks. I pulled the code at Advance Auto on the OBD2, and it came back EGR valve. Would this not allow it to turn over? What about IAC valve?Thanks for the help.........I need to get this vehicle running.........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The EGR code is probably related to a bad DPFE sensor, and that would not keep your truck from starting. The IAC could keep it from starting, but would start with your foot on the gas. Have you checked for spark?? I would also check the fuel pressure, just because you can hear the pump running doesn't mean that it is giving enough pressure and/or volume to start the engine.

Hate to ask the "dumb" questions, but is this no-start a case where the starter isn't turning the engine like it should, or is it a case where the starter is doing it's part, but the engine refuses to fire?

If the starter is cranking, I suggest squirting a little bit of ether into the plenium (stand back!) and cranking to see if it fires. If it does, then your problem is fuel related. If not, it's spark related. DId the problem start right after a gas fill up, which means it could be bad gas...?

Mike

I wouldn't recommend doing that to a vehicle with a plastic plenum.

I did actually fill up, but at quicktrip and have never had a problem with their gas. It starts, but just sounds like it is out of gas.

I have pushed the gas pedal, and tried to play with it, but still no good. Does that mean buying the IAC will be useless?

I do have an idler pulley that has been squealing fir a bit. Is it possible that is has just given out, and the belt is unable to move as fast as is should allowing everything from the alternator to whatever to work?

I have an aftermarket alarm, but the "theft" is not on when I am trying to start it. I also checked the button under the dash, I think the "fuel shut off switch". It was normal.

check for spark at the plugs (pull out hold by the sparkplug wire against the frame have someone turn the engine over and see if there's spark) check for fuel at the manifold just loosen and crank engine alittle and see if gas comes out.

and if there is a spark coming from the wire, than does that mean that I need to replace the plugs? I am due for a change, but I would think that the car should at least turn over........if not idle rough.

Before messing around with all of that find the schraeder valve on the end of your fuel rail. It should have a plastic cap on it. (Valve similar to your tires.) Remove the cap and with somebody cranking the engine press the valve. Watch for spewing gas at this point. If you have a little air pocket in the fuel rail you will not start. If that doesn't work carry on with what they all said.

Sounds like the same problem I'm having... do you hear a whining sound when you try to start it? I'm wondering if its not that my starting isn't engaging. The motor doesn't turn over at all for me and I've checked all the fuses and the battery.

did you check to make sure the inertia switch didn't pop?

try resetting the copmuter by disconecting the battery, also try and start it with the gas cap off

I tried that. Does anyone have pictures of where to spray starter fluid? I see the throttle body, but am not comfortable doing it.

Do I spray it while someone is cranking it?

yes spray it into the throttle body while someoone is cranking it... stand to the sdie though.. after i hyrdolocked my truck and dried out the cylinders.. i had a couple of not backfires... but fireballs coming out of the intake....

As Mr Shorty hinted, we're going to have a little terminalogy lesson, since so many people use confusing terms. A motor that does nothing when you turn the key, is a motor that doesn't turn over, or a motor that won't crank. A motor that turns over but doesn't start is usually one that won't fire, or easier, start. One that starts, but runs poorly is just that :) I'd rent a fuel pressure tester and test the Fuel Rail as Wiseguy suggested.

Good idea testing pressure at the rail. I was just suggesting that maybe there was an air bubble in the rail. I was had by the air bubble once and a buddy at work ended up with the same thing. It would crank fine but until the valve was pressed on the fuel rail it would not catch and run.

I managed to get mine going after taking a hammer to the starter... after doing that a couple of times the starter seems to engage okay now. The way I had the truck parked, getting under it was a pain but thankfully it was an easy fix once I got under there.

If a starter hangs up once, it will most likely hang up again. :( Carry a hammer, and maybe spray some WD or some PB Blaster on the starter bolts.

Well the starter was turning... my hearing is awful, I couldn't tell thats what it was sitting in the truck... but once I shorted the fender mounted solenoid out I could tell for sure the starter was turning. The solenoid on the starter wasn't engaging though... apparently it was stuck.

Either way, I'm keeping a hammer in the truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back