• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump "sock" disintegrated.

Robman

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4.0L OHV 5spd
My '97 4.0L OHV 4 door 4x4 Explorer with 270 000kms which is now used as a field truck was having fuel pump issues. Took it apart and found that it's the original pump and that the material in the sock/filter at the base of the pump had disintegrated and was being sucked into the pump, clogging it.

Just something for everyone to keep in mind.

BTW: I replaced the pump and filter as it had acted up long ago but then came back to life and lasted a good deal longer. After having it out today and testing it, the pump would start 9x out of 10 but I like to cruise around in the truck on the farm with my kids and use it for various tasks such as firewood so I need it to work everytime. Starts faster and runs better now.

Yeah if I had fuel pump issues I'd get the whole sending unit with pump and new sock and do it all at once while the tank's dropped... don't like putting back 18 y/o parts when the cost difference isn't much and you have to drain and drop a tank to get to them (or cut an access hole in the floor pan which wouldn't be my preferred method unless there were unusual circumstances).

Back