Fuel pump stops working after a few seconds and engine will not start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump stops working after a few seconds and engine will not start

60144john

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
North Face
Hi - I have a 1999 4Litre 4WD Explorer North Face registered in 2000. I replaced the fuel pump a few months ago and have had no problems until now. When I turn .on the ignition the pump can be heard working but it stops after a few seconds. If I repeatedly turn it on it continues to do the same so not moving enough fuel to start. I have removed the fuel pressure damper which looks OK but I don't know how to test it or whether it could even be at fault. Has this happened to anyone else? Having priced a replacement, I don't want to buy one on the off chance that mine is faulty. Is there anything else that might stop the pump? All contributions welcomed, John.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check fuel pump relay
check wiring to pump you replaced

What brand pump did you use? Airtex?

I can't remember the brand name but it has worked well until now. The pump wiring seems OK. Will try wiring across the relay. Thanks John

Where did you buy it?
I ask because it is known that some of the auto parts store pumps will only last months if not weeks Airtex is one of the main offenders here.......sucks to have to do all of that labor AGAIN due to cheaply made pumps
Why did you change the pump previously? Similar issue? Or did it just stop working?

Couple of things to also look at: fuel filter and fuel pressure at the rail. You have a returnless system so anything above 60 psi is good.

The fuel pump is only told by the computer to run for 1-2 seconds on startup and then shut off to pressurize the fuel rail. So turning off and on when the ignition is in run is normal. While the engine is on, however, the pump is running continuously and the pressure regulator on the fuel sending unit in the tank keeps the pressure up. If the pressure regulator in the tank is bad then the fuel is just simply flowing back into the tank.

fuel pump is doing what it should do, it is priming pressure. it will not run continuously until the engine is running

Please start over in your troubleshooting. This is a step by step guide to help identify the issue. post back your findings, follow this to the letter, do not make any assumptions to move on to the next step.

How to: - Ford Explorer Engine No Start Procedure

PS , if the fuel level in the tank is low with vehicle parked with rear higher than the front ( downhill incline) it may not be getting fuel.

Welcome John.

Where did you buy it?
I ask because it is known that some of the auto parts store pumps will only last months if not weeks Airtex is one of the main offenders here.......sucks to have to do all of that labor AGAIN due to cheaply made pumps
Why did you change the pump previously? Similar issue? Or did it just stop working?
Where did you buy it?
Where did you buy it?

It's probably my fault for buying an unbranded one from Amazon. I had previously ordered a branded one on ebay from Germany which never arrived and the Amazon one was the only other one I could find. This probably makes more sense when I tell you that I live in Nth Yorkshire UK and an Explorer over here is a rare beast and very few parts are available. The old pump suddenly stopped working completely so I don't think there is any connection. The relay is working fine

fuel pump is doing what it should do, it is priming pressure. it will not run continuously until the engine is running

Please start over in your troubleshooting. This is a step by step guide to help identify the issue. post back your findings, follow this to the letter, do not make any assumptions to move on to the next step.

PS , if the fuel level in the tank is low with vehicle parked with rear higher than the front ( downhill incline) it may not be getting fuel.

Thanks for the link it's worth it's weight in gold. At present the back end is on axle stands so gravity should be helping. I have removed the fuel pressure damper also the fuel line at the tank, and connected plastic tubing. The pump works well enough to lift fuel through the back door into a can, but if I raise the pipe much higher there is no flow, so it looks as though the pump wouldn't be strong enough to pressurise the system. I intended changing the pressure damper until I saw the price of a replacement, but now I .know a bit more about what it does I don't think it has anything to do with the fault. It was really difficult to access and will probably be worse to refit but is there any way of testing it to be sure before I put it back? I obviously can't run through the tests until I do. I think Mr Q is probably right and the fuel is running back into the tank. Regards John

Back