• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump?

falls guy

Reaction score
City, State
St. Catherines, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Well, it happened. She broke down. Thank god I got CAA! Got it towed home and did a quick check for fuel pressure. I don't have a pressure tester so I just pressed in the valve with a screw driver. Got hardly anyhting. I could here the pump come on with the ignition, but it's been loud for a while. I changed the filter and got some pressure but it still won't run. If and when it does start, the longer it runs, the more it spudders. It just gets worse and worse till it finally dies. If I try and give it any gas at all when it is sort of running, it dies instantly like it just isn't holding the pressure or getting enough pressure. The regulator was replaced less than a year ago. There seems to be some pressure at the rail now but I don't have a guage to tell how much.
:confused: My main question is, Can the pump be f...ed and still pump some pressure just not enough? I was always under the understanding that either they work or they don't. Sorry for rambling on.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Peace

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, a pump can still "work" but not provide the correct flow/pressure.

Any possibility that you have contaminated gas?

No I put fresh fuel in it, it does run rough though when i get bad gas. Good question though. Thanks.

I think your next step is to find out how much pressure you have. I wouldn't want to put a pump in unless you are sure that's the problem. Have you tried replacing the fuel pump relay? Normally, they either work or they don't, but I guess they could be sporatic. It's an easy/cheap repair.

The fuel pressure should only be around 35-37 PSI... with the key off you will only get a little driblet of fuel from the fuel rail but with the key on you should get a good volume due to the FP trying to maintain good fuel pressure.

Back