Fuel pump?

Craigerz

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 4x4
Chasing down a gremlin. Had to replace the radiator the other day. Had a leak. Didn't over heat was just leaking. Went to start it up and it was running rough. Like a miss/vacuum leak. I had to take off the intake tube to get the radiator in and out so I assumed I left something unplugged. Shut it off checked and didn't find anything. Cranked it right back up and ran just fine. Figured maybe I got some water on a coil pack or wire maybe. Drove around all day and ran and started just fine.

Next morning same issue. Would idle like crap for about 20 seconds then I could pump the gas and it would clear up and run fine all day. Next morning same thing. And the next. I tried to cycle the key to see if it would help prime it and didn't help at all. Couldn't be 100% certain I could here the fuel pump kick on when I turned the key and no one around to help listen I went to AZ and rented a fuel pressure tester. Let it sit all night, put it on first thing in the morning and of course it fired right up without a problem. I couldn't keep the fuel pressure tester for 4 or 5 days so I took it back. It was reading 37-38 PSI at idle.

It was "colder" those mornings, like mid 30s maybe 40 and has been in the 60s the past few days if that's even cold enough to make it act up. No CEL, no codes. Every tune up part is basically new. Battery is charged. Tank is full. Filter is changed regularly. Pump is maybe 4 years old.

Anything else I can check out while I'm waiting on it to act up again? IAC sticking when it cold maybe? I don't want to jump straight to fuel pump when I had been working on other things when this issue started.

Maybe there was a bubble at the ECT sensor and it was messing with the starting mixture

Back