fuel pumps constantly runs with key on and no start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fuel pumps constantly runs with key on and no start

bikesnbabyz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
i have a 95 explorer that doesnt start, when i turn the key on the fuel pump runs and doesnt stop i have changed the fuel pressure regulator and its still does the same thing. i have fuel at the rail and when i spray starting fluid in it will start and then stop i have spark and fuel but still no start. my plugs are new and are not wet at all does anyone have a clue what is causing the pump to stay running with key on

The PCM is responsible for firing the injectors and for turning the pump on/off. Gut feel is that there is something wrong with the wiring to/from the injectors and/or in the PCM ground wire and/or in something else in the PCM wiring and/or something in the PCM.

Not sure how I would approach diagnosing this problem. Might start by pulling codes to see if I could "talk" to the computer, and see if the PCM can see a problem. If I got any codes out of the computer, start with those. If the PCM gave me all pass codes, I'd look at the injector wiring. If I couldn't talk to the computer, I would look at the PCM power/ground circuits.

See where that gets you.

fixed

found the problem to be the pcm changed it and it runs fine now

Since diagnosis is often 80% of the work (especially when the problem is the PCM itself), could you share what you did to determine that the PCM was at fault?

Back