Full length console in a first gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full length console in a first gen?

Willard

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ranger Edge
Has anyone swapped out a second gen full length console into a first gen?

I looked around but couldn't find anything. I could use the extra storage space, want to know if this could be possible. I know there may have to be some mods to the dash right where it goes, but that's fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have personally seen it done. A local guy did it to his Ranger.....his truck was Truck of the Month a few years back on one of the Ranger Sites....I dunno if they have a archive, but it was a Black or Blue Ranger from Port Orchard, WA.

I PERSONALLY didn't like the look. There was a gap where the front of the console met the lower dash. He had stuffed/wrapped a bandana in that location to hide the difference.

Ryan

ive been just wanting to learn to fiberglass, so i could connect the center console with the dash, it would look good, plus like you said, give you that extra storage space, even maybe mount a monitor, or make a switch panel, or some more gauges, theres an endless list of what you could do lol.

or if you really didnt mind, you could even make an extension out of wood, and paint it to match your console, and make it how you want.

Yes :D

18139_601039066171_44013058_34611861_7086275_n.jpg

64,000,000,000 ? does the Message center work? :D

cyber, yes. The message center is fully functional. Thats what 8 hours of wiring and 2 new sensors will do, lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Here is a pic of the message center working before I put in the console it fits to.

16343_594039987381_44013058_34376954_242399_n.jpg

Here is a better picture with everything working correctly.

18139_601442792101_44013058_34622075_3673305_n.jpg

Nice!

I always wondered what a flipout looked like in a 1st gen lol, I went through about 5 different HU's in mine trying to find one I liked and ended up with a sony

Thanks for the comments!

While the physical install in not bad at all (gotta remove all the old brackets and ditch the rear air vent under the carpet) the wiring is another issue. I'm already a step ahead bu wiring the MC in first, but I want a cleaner install using the square plug. A write up will come soon, but I have been busy and time is just a problem working two jobs and doing the ghost hunting this every weekend, lol.

NICE59FORDF100

What engine and transmission is in your vehicle? Do all of the message center functions work correctly?? It is a great looking interior. Thanks.

thanks for the comment! I have just the stock 4.0 v6 with the a4ld. All the message center functions work correctly. The secret is knowing about the eek-iv computer and knowing what signal it outputs that ford didn't utilize. But thanks man, alot of work has gone into it :)
Posted via Mobile Device

NICE59FORDF100

You will have to share you secrets someday, I did not know that it was possible to use the message center with a 4.0. I will start gathering parts and pieces.

Here is just a short list of all the parts you will need to make a message center work.

---All this from 95-01 Explorer---
Message center
COMPLETE WIRING HARNESS ( I cant stress this enough)
Windshied Washer Fluid Level Sensor w/ female plug (2 wires)
Oil Tempurature/level sensor (3 Wires)

---non 95+ ford---
Single wire ECM pin with about 6-10 inches of wire from any eec-iv vehicle (Used with DOL pin on explorer computer)

Thats pretty much the shopping list save for wire and connectors.
Im still trying to write a How-to thread, but just been way busy.

Which wiring harness? Engine control or message center? Does the donor vehicle need to be a 4.0L? And the single wire pin, does it need to come from a 104 pin EEC PCM harness connector? Thanks.

the wiring harness inside the center console. If you can, just cut it above the square plug in front of the console. Doesn't matter if v6 or v8. And the single pin and wire needs to come from a 60 pin eec-iv computer, such as a first gen explorer
Posted via Mobile Device

Which year does the oil level sensor and the washer level sensor need to come from? Could the level sensors be added to my current oil pan and washer set up??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Edog,

The oil level/oil temp sensor and the windshield fluid level sensor can come from any 95-01 ford explorer that has a message center installed in it. Ideally, it would be best to get everything you need from the same vehicle.

As far as I can tell, the oil sensor out of any 2nd gen motor will fit the first gen oil pan. I say 'as far as I can tell' because I am actually unsure what motor mine came out of.

The washer fluid sensor involves drilling a hole into the first gen container, and then using lots of sealant :) Below is a pic of where I placed mine.

16343_594255690111_44013058_34386268_929673_n.jpg

Back