Swapping short console for Full Length | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping short console for Full Length

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I had a short console and liked how my old 95 ex and now 00 ex has the full length consoles factory so it was time for the 96 to get one and since I knew a mechanic that has a 96 sitting I bought the console from it for $20.00. I did not want to try swapping wiring harnesses to get the electronics to work and didn't have a need for the radio controls to work. The full length pretty much slid right it, granted the mounting to the floor board isn't the same due to the short console used bigger holes in the front bracked but I'll cover over that and drill fresh smaller. There was no rear mounting bracket and didn't try getting it from the donor so will have to make one up unless this holds good enough. For the aux power I spliced off the existing power source from the dash to the wiring harness of the console, and for the blower power I ran a wire from the ignition wire from the radio to the pink/white wire going into the relay in the console and that's it no need for another ground wire if you have the console aux. power hooked up. Below are the pictures, I took exact picture of the white/pink wire needed to tap.

I experimented with wires coming off the climate controls using a test light so it would turn on and off with the climate controls but could not find one for this so that is why I went with an ignition wire from the radio, if someone has a better suggestion as to a power source for the blower let me know!

When I was trying to figure this out I only found one thread that Gijoecam stated the pink/white wire was suppose to be the hot wire so figured I'd post an exact picture.

If you are planning this swap here is a good thread from Turdle on the removal of the 2nd gen full length console, just follow his directions and it'll come out in no time. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209770

Here's the pink/white wire the power source for the blower motor:
consolewiring.jpg

Ignition wire from the radio:
dashwiring.jpg

After its done and installed (96 cupholders are temporary til I get one from a 97-01):
console1.jpg

Questions for you...

With the longer console I take it that it has rear hvac vents...Where do the vents tie into the under dash system?

You also mentioned the blower power so does the long console also have a seperate blower unit in it too?

I have wanted rear air vents in my 99 Sport to help heat or cool it faster and this might be a way to make this happen...

Thanks for the writeup and information...

One more question...Does the longer console cover the ashtray [or take the place of the ashtray] in the lower dashboard and does the power connector to the power socket go into the consoles power outlet?

With the longer console I take it that it has rear hvac vents...Where do the vents tie into the under dash system?

You also mentioned the blower power so does the long console also have a seperate blower unit in it too?

I have wanted rear air vents in my 99 Sport to help heat or cool it faster and this might be a way to make this happen...

Thanks for the writeup and information...

One more question...Does the longer console cover the ashtray [or take the place of the ashtray] in the lower dashboard and does the power connector to the power socket go into the consoles power outlet?

Its not really a good write up just giving some insight to the swap. But yes it does take place of the ash tray you have to remove that section because the console will bolt right into that area, and yes it does have its own blower motor in the console. And since you are removing the ash tray components to bolt the full length console in you will be disconnecting the power source from that unit and you can splice that into the power source in the full console, I just ran wires from the existing plug into the back of the console power plug that way it would serve as ground for the blower motor. And as for the way the heat gets back, the trucks that had this console, the floor duct was designed a little differently where as it had a hole and a lip that connected to the console duct but I didn't want to take all that from the donor truck so I cut a hole in the existing duct in my truck and am going to make a lip for it. You would see this when you remove one of these consoles.

If you have anymore questions or want a picture of something let me know.

EDIT: I didn't complete making a lip for my duct work yet because it was 30 degrees when I put the console in but I'll post a pic when I do.

Back