Full size spare tire.

92exp4x4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Covington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL 2-door and others
So now that the weather is decent, I'm getting caught up on all kinds of projects. One of which was to install a full size spare in Red.

Sounds simple enough... I was wrong. In looking for the tools. I found out my van is missing it's jack, wrench etc. I also found out it stows in one of the little floor cargo boxes in the back and the hinge is rusted shut. I could open it just enough to see inside but without breaking the door, it was not gonna budge.

So courtesy of a nearby explorer, I used it's wrench to lower the tire from the van. What I found was not surprising but unnerving. The tire was hanging by a thread! I've been bouncing over Indianapolis roads the last couple weekends, to work on my sister's house and I can't believe the tire never fell out! Anyone who has driven in Indy knows what I mean. I will never complain about potholes around here ever again!

So, repair was needed. I found another used winch on eBay, but this one is in remarkably decent shape except the end. I used some garage door cable crimp ends to make a new stop for the bracket. It seems to be working well.

Some pics to show the ravages of rust in this area. The temp spare is completely useless. I don't think the lug nuts would even hold torque if it was to be used. I found a complete tire tool kit on ebay and ordered it. So at least I'll have something to use in case of a flat.

IMG_20190410_173114707.jpg

IMG_20190410_173941692.jpg

IMG_20190410_174133136.jpg

IMG_20190410_174233326.jpg

Have you ever noticed the no U turn signs on I70 where there is a solid concrete median barrier?

I haven't but that's awesome! Thing is, someone tried it.

Back