Full width Dana 44 and 8.8 under Ranger | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full width Dana 44 and 8.8 under Ranger

I don't have near as many pretty pics as most of you, and no build pics, but it works pretty damn well. Using the generic forklift test the front tires come 42" off the ground before a rear tire lifts, and both rearts lift bfore the front will, which Im thought kinda odd. I don't have any wheelin pics, but the two supplied are from a trip to Tellico last year....poor things been on the road ever since. Any queastions, let me know. Coda
980213-009.jpg
980213-010.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can't post pics, those pics are very old...the bed is gone now, there are several other changes. Pics aren't really needed, ya just take the stock radius arm mounts form the 78, slide them up the frame rail till they touch the body mount, clamp it and drill holes....clean and simple, then they locate your axle and ya mount your coil buckets accordingly. Coda

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Great lookin' ranger
You have given a lot of good detail on your swap. thanks
But one question..What did you use for the steering, is it custom, or off the shelf factory stuff?
Thanks again for your help, Kevin

My steering is another area where I'm not "done". Gonbna go hi steer evbentually. Right now I've just used the factory draglink and attached it to the factory 79 tierod, works, but it ain't pretty. Coda

i dont know if that will work on a 92 X, not shure if the frame is the same or not, and i know its not that easy. maybe i need to talk to somone with a 91-94 explorer. thanks, your truck is a good lookin rig.

Hey Coda,

Did you leave the spring buckets full length or cut them down? And since you moved it forward did you have to deal with the hump where the steering box mounts, or did you mount the buckets behind the hump?

The frame widths are the same, mounting the radius arm mounts is that simple, don't be intimidated. Only thing you need to do is fab a xmember for them. The coil buckets were cut and modified a little bit to make them conform to the hump. I will redo them when I get a chance to rebuild the entire front end and move the front axle forward about 3 more inches. It's mounted behind the steering box for now, but theres a rivot hole that can be utilized on the coil bucket at the farthest back bolt for the steering box, thats how I did my buddies ranger, works out much better. Just have to use some square tubing to build out the back of the bucket where the frame turns in. Coda

RE; 2 wd buckets

Coda,

You are so right, those buckes really do suck to get them off.. But I got emm.. Now if I can only find a disc brake set-up for my dana 44...lol And the steering componets and a track bar... Then I'd be off and running..lol

thanks again,

Kevin

coda i have a question, when you welded the square tubing behind the bucket, did you have any problems with the spacing? Because i would think that one would stick out more than the other. you said that you cut it down how much did you cut off and what part.

Re: yeah

Originally posted by Coda
thats Rich Mtn...play place...

Why, would you be talking about Rich Mtn. near Blue Ridge and Ellijay, in north GA off of hwy 575?

because thats the place the pictures were taken

Re: Re: yeah

Originally posted by nak4af
Why, would you be talking about Rich Mtn. near Blue Ridge and Ellijay, in north GA off of hwy 575?

you are correct

Small World

That's where I was raised. I lived in Blue Ridge 'til I was 20 and joined the AirForce. I loved going through Rich Mtn. It's responsible for getting me into the 4 wheel craze. Does that big mud hole still exist on top of the mountain? I've seen several vehicles burried in that one!

Have you ever been through Cashes Valley?

Rich was just closed on the fifth, I never got a chance to go up there. :(

Re: Small World

Originally posted by nak4af
Does that big mud hole still exist on top of the mountain? I've seen several vehicles burried in that one!

YEP! it did last time i went at least. had a old yota abandoned in it then too. buried to the window sills. but yes they closed it down to make it more accessible since its a forest service road. i think they are done already and basically just graded. that sucks.

Good things never last. The last time I was on that trail was back in 1992

Shocks??

Hey Coda,

Did you uses the post style shocks in your setup? If so, what were the spec?

Thanks, Kevin

ya and how did you modify the upper coil buckets the first time?

We cut the coils bucket and hammered it to contour the frame..not happy with that, it'll change. I used superduty shock mounts, not post style. There are lots of things that I'm not hwppy with and know better now...ya'll need to check out RRORC too, there's more methods over there. I'm fixin to install my wristed radius arm soon, and redo my track bar. Probably do that w/ Johny Joints, but work is too busy now. Coda

coda can you post some pics or explane how you got the drivers side coil bucket to fit over that hump. did you cut it around the hump and weld it or what? i am at that step and looking for advice. thanks

how much did you have to langthen the front drive shaft to meat the 44. and are all the steering stock with the 44

Back