• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Full width Dana 44 and 8.8 under Ranger

Coda

Reaction score
City, State
Traveling superintendent, home is Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ranger
I don't have near as many pretty pics as most of you, and no build pics, but it works pretty damn well. Using the generic forklift test the front tires come 42" off the ground before a rear tire lifts, and both rearts lift bfore the front will, which Im thought kinda odd. I don't have any wheelin pics, but the two supplied are from a trip to Tellico last year....poor things been on the road ever since. Any queastions, let me know. Coda

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Well, umm.................KICKASS!!!

Did you need to space out you upper coil buckets to line up with the bottom? Why did you go with the 8.8? Already disc'd?

I may have a bunch of questions for you in the near future, I hope you don't mind.;)

XplorerKid

Rolling on 37"s
Reaction score
City, State
Winter Haven Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Xplorer
Originally posted by Robb
Well, umm.................KICKASS!!!

Did you need to space out you upper coil buckets to line up with the bottom? Why did you go with the 8.8? Already disc'd?

I may have a bunch of questions for you in the near future, I hope you don't mind.;)
robb you going to 44??

i know your not SAS it sine well YOU already have that :rolleyes:

PEACE

Coda

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ranger
No spacers...

72 f-100 coil buckets are wider and space the coils just right....I feel the 8.8 is plenty strong, seen it withstand EXTREME abuse w/ 38" SX's, and they're cheap..nope, it's drums in back....this thing stopps on a dime..... Coda

XplorerKid

Rolling on 37"s
Reaction score
City, State
Winter Haven Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Xplorer
Srry i didnt say anything b4 bout your truck.

Its a VERY nice ranger, i like it alot.

PEACE

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Yea, I don't think you will have any problems with the 8.8, I was just wondering.

Sounds like you have a created a nice offroad/onroad combo. Congrats!

Kid.........No, just learning.

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
NICE!!! How about more info? Like what gears, lockers, what year truck, what drivetrain??? :D

Coda

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ranger
well....

95, 3.slow, 5.13's, welded rear, ezlocker front, cutom coils from valley spring works, 4" skyjacker leaf, longer shackles,

future plans..ie, 2-3 months, remove beed and build exo cage, longer rear shock mounts, $$$ willing an atlas, but preferably, and cheaper, would be a 5.0 swap.

Coda

JoshC

Only rolled it once honey
Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Very nice man. I missed what size tires you were running??

Coda

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ranger
37" MTR's right now

Coda

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ranger
Found some more pics..old stuff really

GaSouthern1

Elite LS2 -
Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 GTO
Is that Rich Mtn.? Very nice looking ranger, hope to see you on a run somewhere, or at least running around Atlanta.

Coda

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ranger
yeah

thats Rich Mtn...play place. It's a trail rig now, but used to be a DD. I haven't wheeled in to long cause of work, hopefully this winter I'll get out there and up to Tellico, maybe Gray Rock in Ala. Coda

brnbomr

Reaction score
City, State
novato,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
92,ex. 2000 7.3l
what size tires and springs did you use

brnbomr

Reaction score
City, State
novato,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
92,ex. 2000 7.3l
one more question

can you list some of the mods you made and show how the front axle is set up, is the 8.8 full size? i am asking because i am currently sas my explorer

Coda

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ranger
I'm running 4" Skyjacker leafs w/ belltech shackles, 37" MT/R's, and the coils were made by Valley Spring Works, 6" 79 F150 lift, sprung for a 3.0 Ranger. Yes, both axles are full width. Stock radius arms, the frame is the same width, you can use the F150 radius arm brackets, I should have, the coil buckets are from an early 70's 2wd F100, w/ are 3" wider per side than the 4wd ones. Perfectly locates the coils over the perches. Anything else? Coda

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Coda,

Thanks for the info about the 2wd coil towers. I got a set of the 4wd towers and was worried about the spacing. I know my local yard has several 70s 2wds sitting in it, but I never even looked at them for the buckets.

Do you remember if the towers were riveted or bolted on? That way I know what to take out to the yard.:)

brnbomr

Reaction score
City, State
novato,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
92,ex. 2000 7.3l
ya i picked up d44 today and i say how far the buckets are apart i was worried thanks. what should you have done with the radious arm brackets how would they work. what did you do?

Coda

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ranger
Stock radius arms, the frame is the same width, you can use the F150 radius arm brackets, I should have,
I didn't use them. I'd use the factory radius arm brackets from the 78-9 and slide them all the way up to the front body mount, locating the axle forward and allowing you to run much bigger tires in the future w/o getting into the firewall. The coil buckets are rivoted on, and are a bastard to get off. Coda

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

brnbomr

Reaction score
City, State
novato,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
92,ex. 2000 7.3l
thanks this is helping so much. I have a d44 out of a 78 bronco and i think it will work the same. if you have the time can you post some pics of the underbody, you have one up top, but no pics of the radius arm brackets you are talking about. your truck looks sick with the 37s

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S 94 Sport Full Width Dana 44 and 9 inch Solid Axle Swap Registry 126
ld50 '93 XL on Full-width D44 and 9-inch Solid Axle Swap Registry 20
O Ohe boy's Full Width D44/Ford 9" Solid Axle Swap Registry 75
Burns 1991 Full Width SAS 44/9 Solid Axle Swap Registry 31
Stic-o '99 Full width SAS 44/ 8.8 Solid Axle Swap Registry 28
S '93 with Full width D60/D70 Solid Axle Swap Registry 17
jrgaylor Jrgaylor's 91 Explorer full width D44/9 Solid Axle Swap Registry 123
9 yey!! im done 91 explorer on full widths done.... Solid Axle Swap Registry 32
B 91 expo on full widths Solid Axle Swap Registry 76
H Hazardiz's 91 exploder on full widths and 38s Solid Axle Swap Registry 59
2TimingTom '97 XLT Dana 30 SAS Solid Axle Swap Registry 24
R 91 Explorer on Dana 60's Solid Axle Swap Registry 5
J 95 mazda b4000 dana 44 swap Solid Axle Swap Registry 1
J 98 XLT Dana 44 on Leafs Solid Axle Swap Registry 51
B 1999 Ranger SAS (Dana 44/Ford 9 Inch) Solid Axle Swap Registry 18
MEANEXPLODER 91 xlt dana 44 hi-pin sas Solid Axle Swap Registry 17
J johnny5_72's 89 Ranger Dana 30 SAS Solid Axle Swap Registry 30
Michael Dana 44 and 3 link install Solid Axle Swap Registry 171
3 2 year project complete-351w,ford 9",dana 44, 35s, with pics Solid Axle Swap Registry 62
Dannyboy Dannyboy's '94 Hi-Pin(shortened) Dana 44 on coils Solid Axle Swap Registry 49