Full width Dana 44 in explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full width Dana 44 in explorer

I've been a member of this site off and on for about 8 years now but ita been so long since I last got on that I couldnt remember my username or even which email address I used. So I've been searching for threads I've come across before but no luck. Anyway. I got my explorer last week and all it needs is exhaust. Im tking care of that this week. I have 1988 FSB with no motor, trans, nothing. Just the axles and a brand new 6 inch lift. I want to transplant my liftand axles into my explorer. I kno its been done several times over but I can't find the threads. Anyone got some pointers or can drop me some helpful links? Id be much obliged

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No the axles are out of an 88 so it a dana 44 ttb. Im awarethat I need to space the buckets out on the frame. I also kno that I may need to drill out another hole 1" over on the ttb bracket so the axles will work and to keep the wheels the same distance from side to side. My concern is how much lift I will have by using 4 or 6 inch explorer drop brackets along with the 6 inch fsb coil springs. Also wondering if i can use the dana 44 radius arms and drop brackets

Also my explorer is a 94 so it is first gen. I will get pictures of both the ex and the fsb when i get home

Swapping in a full size TTB is not an easy or simple job. If you can't find the threads here, it's because few have even tried it. So much easier to do a SAS.

There are a few people who have done it over on dezertrangers.com, including a friend of mine. He bought new drop brackets designed for the D44 beams from Giant Motorsports, which are completely bolt on. If you're lucky you might be able to convince Copykat (he's a member here and over there) to make another run of the brackets he designed, or find someone selling some of his. There's also Autofab which offers D44 conversion kits.

Another friend of mine did his own custom brackets on his Ranger for D44 beams: http://http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/threads/223483-93-4by-s-Postrunner-DD-93-Ford-Ranger-4x4-Build?highlight=ranger

One problem you'll run into is the diff getting close to the frame which will limit uptravel more than stock D35 beams.

My bet is if you're wanting to swap to D44 beams, you'll also want to run extended radius arms and not the stock Bronco ones. Longer radius arms will allow a lot more suspension travel, and also minimize caster change as the suspension cycles.

Thanks mounty ive been on there but most stuff is cut and turn over there. Ive only heard rumors about Copkat's brackets as everytime ive looked for a set hes not making them. Maybe ill get lucky. How much lift will the brackets give me with the 44? Im looking for 6 inches

I don't remember what the Copykat brackets get you, but I favor the cut and turn over big drop brackets personally. As far as lift with FSB lift springs, I would guess you'd get more lift than what the springs claim for a Bronco, but again I don't know.

Khris has D35 beams, just cut and turned and extended. ^^

BTW, what you could do, and what I will be doing, is run D35 beams modified to use the D44 knuckles, hubs, brakes, axle stub shafts, etc. Gets you the best of both worlds, with stock mounting brackets and the D44 strength increase. Also a much lighter weight diff than that of the D44, and you won't have the frame clearance issues.

Back to the subject, does anyone kno how mich lift i will get if i use stock explorer ttb pivots and spring buckets but stock f150 springs?

Back