• Register Today It's free!

Full width or not

Minivek

Reaction score
City, State
Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Limited Ex silver
Hi all, I just completed mi 5.5 inch lift on mi 94 sport, and I'm pretty happy with it. But I'm also thinking ahead and starting to map things out for a solid swap. I've done alot of searching on here and havn't quite found the answers I was looking for. Actually, I'd like to know what people who've done a SAS swap think of going full width or staying with standard width, my truck would still remain a daily driver. I'm thinking of things like parking and stuff with those wheels sticking out, or how to cover those tires up so that the cops don't chase you around. I'm sure there's a way to do it, I just havn't found it yet.

Thanks alot!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats on the 5.5 i loved mine then went sas.....

Alot of people go full width and some choose to have the axles narrowed down....I stayed full width and i have no problems being a daily driver....Parking is not a issue for me...If you have ever parked at a college it sucks but the size is not a issue.....I didnt cover up the tires because in TN i dont have to so im not going to.....

But if you go sas take the time to do major research and then move on to doing the sas....If you have a question ask.......Dont wait till you have made a mistake...

i love the look and stance of a full width.

I love my newly installed full widths!!!!

Full width is definitely the way to go. I have them on mine and with about 4.25" backspacing, only about half the tire sticks out past the fenders (12.50" wide swampers). I don't have any parking issues either.

what about those who live in states where tires aren't supposed to extend past the fenders (within reason of course) here they basically tolerate about 2" past, but mud flaps are needed or else its an automatic ticket.

I also saw a thread on here where someone mounted the rear shocks outside the frame rails (like the new F150's i guess) any thoughts on that? does it help much.

Also, how much have you moved your front axles forward? and other than relocating coil buckets and bracketry and extending the DS did it entail other problems??

Thanks a lot, and yes I did search a bunch, but right now it's creating more questions than answering them :confused:

I got a ticket for my tires sticking out past the fender, but removable mud flabs are an easy fix. Check RockRanger and Jefe for those. They both made some for cheap.

stic-o is the one that moved his shocks outside the frame rail. I know he had a couple problems with the tires rubbing on the shocks at full bump. If you want to do the work, I'd say it's worth it. His seems very very stable in off camber situations.

Mine is not moved forward at all, but it seems most guys have it moved forward from 2-4 inches. Mine is also 6" narrower than full width (not by choice) I will be going full width when I can afford it. If I had a wheel with low backspacing, I'd be almost as wide as someone with a full width and like 4-4,5" backspacing.

if you go fullwidth with 8 lugs buy hummer beadlock rims. With 7" BS it'll tuck most of the tire under your fenders. However the issue will be that you will have your hub prone to rock rash.

thanks alot for being helpfull guys! keep em coming!! and don't worry, I'll have more questions coming along soon :D

Back