Fun at Jiffy Lube | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fun at Jiffy Lube

I stopped going to lube places because its so easy to just change the oil myself. But I use to go religiously with all my cars every 3k or required oil changes. So many issues; Lost ring around oil cap, lost oil screw, sold me squeaky belts to windshield wipers falling of the car after they replaced them. What jumped the shark is when they told me I had a blown head gasket and/or anti freeze in my engine when I knew my timing belt was off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I purchased my Explorer brand new 5 years ago they gave me the option of the oil changes at the dealer or doing them myself, I told them that I would do them myself.

They cut off around $500 from the purchase price. The dealer oil change monkeys are no better than the quick lube ones. I had a friend who took in a 2015 F350 with the 6.7 diesel in it. They changed his oil and if he hadn't checked it before he left the dealership he may of been in some trouble. There was only 6 quarts of oil in the oil pan only 7 quarts low.
Dealers are no better than quick lube shops. Don't even be tempted to take advantage of free scheduled maintenance on a new car! Just keep your receipts and record your mileage in case push comes to shove for a warranty claim.

So I used to take my vehicles to the local jiffy lube because it was quick, sometimes I'd bring in two cars in the same day. The last visit, and last visit forever, my EB had a slight coolant leak at the plastic t-stat housing. The store mgr pointed out the leak and asked if I still wanted the oil change. A little surprised, I said yes, I know about the leak, I have a metal replacement housing on order, please change the oil. He replies, are you sure, do you think it matters now? Now I'm incredulous, and pissed. Yes, I think my 6 yr old truck with a little over 80K miles (at the time) is worth changing the oil. He replies that he's just trying to do me a favor. Yep, you did do me a favor, don't touch anything, close the hood, I'm out of here. So I taught my sons how to do the oil change, and now I do it myself or have my sons do it.

Been doing my own oil changes since I was 18, I'm now 43. Took my 94' Camaro for a Oil Change when I was 18 by a "You guessed it" Jiffy Lube, located a mile from my parents home at the time. After parking the car getting a shower, I saw about a half quart of fresh oil on the garage floor.

Got under the car and notice the drain plug was only int the oil pan by a few threads. I swftly called jiffy lube, who sent a shop kid to come to my parents home and do another oil change properly in my parents garage, and refund my cash. Changing the oil and oil filter is to simple and satisfying to allow someone else to do it!

I traded in my 2010 XLT for a 2017 Sport, so I swing by Jiffy Lube for an oil change. I've been a customer for years so I'm in their database. The tech asks to scan the VIN in the door, and I say that I'm an old customer with a new vehicle, and I switched the plates off the old truck and put them on this one. She scans the VIN and asks if I'm "Bob Smith" while showing me her tablet. I say no, that must be the old owner, and then I repeat what I had already said: old customer, new vehicle, same plate. She enters the plate number instead, my correct info comes up, and we continue. She asks for the mileage, and I say 31,x...

I say I'm here for an oil change, full synthetic oil please. She says, "So just a regular oil change?" I say, no, full synthetic oil please. She gets a laminated menu card with all of their oil change options and at the top I see two full synthetic oils, one about $20 more expensive. I ask her what the difference is and she says "I don't know." Cool, I'll take the cheaper one then, thanks.

Another tech does the actual work, then she comes back to get my credit card. I ask her what services have been performed, and she says "An oil change." I ask what other services, what fluids were checked, etc. She said, "Well, your oil, obviously, and your wiper fluid, and like that." Apparently she had never heard of transmission, brake, power steering, or differential/transfer case fluids.

It's been a long day, it's hot, and I want to get home. I pay, she brings me a receipt, I go home. I check the receipt. Even after I told her at least twice I was driving a new vehicle, even after she had scanned the VIN, even after telling her that I wasn't some guy with an address 2,000 miles from her shop, she put the old vehicle info (including the wrong VIN) on the receipt. She had also added an extra hundred-thousand miles to the odometer reading. A Jiffy Lube receipt shows the vehicle service history, so I can see the last several oil changes for the wrong vehicle, and the mileage magically goes down from 167,x.. in April to 131,x.. now.

Wrong vehicle, wrong mileage, wrong history, no idea what the difference is between two oils, no idea what service was provided, and I got to see the personal information for the previous owner.

I go back and explain to the nice young lady what the situation was. She calls over... someone. Manager? Senior tech? Dude who happened to be walking by at the moment? No idea, and he didn't say. She tells him that I'm not happy because the receipt doesn't show all of the fluids that were checked. I blink, twice, say "Uh, no" and then I relate the actual situation. He proceeds attempting to fix the receipt and update my info in their database. No dice. No matter what he changes, it changes back. He tries entering a new service visit for a free service (tire check); goose egg. The computer won't print a new receipt with the correct information. He picks up the phone and calls... someone. Explains. Listens. Tries whatever they tell him. Zilch. Bupkis. Nada.

He says, "Sorry, these are old computers. It may take a couple of days for the information to reset." Asks me to come back in two days and he'll print me a new receipt with everything perfect.

So... I got my oil changed.
Jiffy Lube is the worst! When I took my company truck in for service, they said my service plan didn't include Jiffy Lube, even though I'd been taking it there every 5,000 miles. They sent me on my way after already removing the drain plug. When I came back after leaving a trail of oil, they denied everything!

And that is why I have changed my own oil and checked the fluids myself for the last 35 years. Except for when I have bought a new vehicle and the first oil change was on them.

The last time one of my vehicles saw a quick lube shop they cross threaded the oil filter on and cinched it on so tight that it took me a couple of hours to get it off after ripping the whole filter housing off.

As for the help, what do you expect for someone who is making minimum wage? All they know is how to undo the drain plug and put the oil in and perhaps hit a couple of grease fittings if the vehicle has them. You are lucky that they didn't drain the transmission and put 6 more quarts into the oil pan.
The last time I took my company vehicle to Pep Boys, they replaced the oil filter without pre lubing the gasket. Needless to say, it leaked like a sieve! Unless you're locked into a service plan that requires you to use Manny, Moe, and Jack, change your own oil!

You want something done right do it yourself. Honestly these new vehicles are getting better. Just saw a video on PTU fluid change on the new 2021 Escape and they made it incredibly easy compared to the last gen.

What oil change place removes the drain plug? All of them around me suck the old oil out.

I change my own oil in every vehicle except the Infinity QX70. It's low and has a plastic cover under the engine. If I had a lift I would do that one. I take it to Valvoline 15 minute. They are about 30% more than JL, but they do it right. Very professional. You wait in the car. They check the oil level and show it to you. The oil color on the stick proves to me they actually changed the oil. Even changed the drain plug gasket as required, something the dealership didn't do. Dealership had to change the oil twice in 3 days when it leaked on my garage floor.

What's oil change place removes the drain plug? All of them around me suck the old oil out.
I believe you are asking what oil change places remove the drain plug. If so, as far as I know, all of them do. It is the only way that I'm aware of that you can get a complete drain..

Peter

I believe you are asking what oil change places remove the drain plug. If so, as far as I know, all of them do. It is the only way that I'm aware of that you can get a complete drain..
I used to believe this but have watched several YouTube videos about vacuuming out oil versus removing the drain plug. In some cases the vacuum method got the same or more oil out than the drain plug did due to low spots in the oil pan. In all the videos I watched any amount of oil that was left would be inconsequential. The method the YouTubers used was to first vacuum the oil out and then remove the drain plug to see what was left. In all the videos I watched the vacuum method was just as effective for all practical purposes. The reason I went through this exercise is because my 2007 Mustang is slammed to the ground and I can't use typical ramps to raise it. I can get to the oil filter fairly easily so I figured getting a vacuum system would let me do oil changes at home. For less than the cost of low profile ramps I can buy a vacuum extractor. Heck, if it works as advertised I'll use it on all our vehicles and as a bonus it would also work on transmissions that have dipsticks. Unfortunately, I can't use it on my '89 Mustang because it has two drain plugs but then I can drive it up a ramp easily. A plus to removing the drain plug is if the plug is magnetic which needs to be cleaned to remain effective over time.

Also, it might be best for quick lube places to vacuum out used oil. This way the grease monkeys don't get a chance to jimmy up your drain plug.

Peter
Actually I was making a statement. I have no problem with vacuming the old oil out. It gets it all. I would rather they do that instead of them messing with the drain plug. I only use my local Valvoline quick change.

I changed my own oil for years until the last year or so when the wife used the quick change and they did a good job.
Been using that particular place ever since.

I change my own oil in every vehicle except the Infinity QX70. It's low and has a plastic cover under the engine. If I had a lift I would do that one. I take it to Valvoline 15 minute. They are about 30% more than JL, but they do it right. Very professional. You wait in the car. They check the oil level and show it to you. The oil color on the stick proves to me they actually changed the oil. Even changed the drain plug gasket as required, something the dealership didn't do. Dealership had to change the oil twice in 3 days when it leaked on my garage floor.
I agree with you regarding Valvoline being more professional. I also like that they will let you provide them with an oil filter AND take what they charge for a filter off the tab.

I changed my own oil for years until the last year or so when the wife used the quick change and they did a good job.
Been using that particular place ever since.
The main reason I still change oil at home is the cost is much lower if full synthetic is used. In this case the cost of doing it at home is anywhere from 1/3 to 1/4 the cost having an oil change done at a shop or quick lube.

Some Ferrari's have 4 drain plugs (or more) and it is more convenient to use a vacuum. It's actually recommended by them. The newer pumps definitely seem better than stuff in the past where it could only get half the oil out.

Fun fact: Foxbody 5.0's have dual drain plugs because the pan is notched to clear k-member. Most people don't even see the front plug.

The main reason I still change oil at home is the cost is much lower if full synthetic is used. In this case the cost of doing it at home is anywhere from 1/3 to 1/4 the cost having an oil change done at a shop or quick lube.
I get that. I run the semi-synthetic . costs me about 15 bucks to have them do it.

Back