Future repairs on an older Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Future repairs on an older Explorer?

leowis1

Reaction score
City, State
Ambler, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddit Bauer 4.0
Gentleman--My wife and I are going back and forth between dumping our 2002 Explorer because the engine seized versus replace it with another vehicle. I bought the truck 2yrs ago from a dealer with 94,000 miles on it. I walk to work and use it primarily as a family/vacation car. I'll put maybe 1500-2000 miles on it a year.

The following list is what I repaired and what the dealer did to the car upon my purchase. This list is in no particular order.
Rebuilt transfer case, new 4x4 module, 4 new wheel bearings, some switch in the door that shorted out, new brakes and rotors all around, 2 transmission flushes even though I do not tow, emergency brake was replaced, new battery and a new starter. The rear diff is bone dry.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I understand that the transmission may go at some point in the future. Could you guys rattle off "likely" repairs that I may incur and the cost of the job? It would help my wife and I make a decision whether to replace the engine or get another vehicle.

Many thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most of those are known issues or wear (read maintenance) items. If the engine is seized that is a sizable expense. Other than the transmission anything else that is likely to occur has been done.

It may make sense for you to consider renting a car for vacation/family use rather than purchasing one based on your usage. Taxi cabs can be an option depending on how often and how far you need to travel. Only you can make the decision on what is right for you.

Buying a new car may entail car payments ($500+ per month for 48-72 months) as well as higher insurance costs.

Thank you for your feedback. I priced the job and it appears I can get it done (motor + labor) for $2600-$3000 plus any extra parts needed for the job. i.e. motor mounts.

It is alot of money and it sucks that I have to spend it. But I feel that a new model Ford Explorer with less miles is only going to incur the same repairs that I just went through (minus the motor). AND I'll have a car payment on top of it.

I will read the maintenance board. A sincere thanks.

I'd call these Majors:
Rebuilt transfer case, new 4x4 module,
some switch in the door that shorted out,

Minors or Maintance items i'd expect to do these on a used one.
4 new wheel bearings,
new brakes and rotors all around, emergency brake was replaced,
2 transmission flushes even though I do not tow,
new battery and a new starter.

"The rear diff is bone dry. " But i hope you added fluid by now?? Might be an issue, any leaks, depending on how long it was dry. I would think there was some there otherwise it would seize.

i have an old heep, 175k, 16yrs old. I had a slew of minor issues few miles back but for the most part last couple of years, its been problem free. Avg Monthly (maintenance and major repairs averaged out per year) $30 priceless. Can't find a car payment that cheap.

For an engine rebuild at $3k, that one year of monthly payment of $250?
Next year, who knows, the cost could be 0$? just some thoughts.

When I said "bone dry", I meant the outside of the diff. There are no leaks.

My wife relented and will allow me to replace the engine. I am going to have the mechanic replace the water pump and the thermostat. Is there anything else in there that would be healthy to replace with the engine out?

Thank you!

I think its around 75,000ish. I called around 8 salvage yards and I cannot find a motor with less miles.

Thank you for your feedback. I priced the job and it appears I can get it done (motor + labor) for $2600-$3000 plus any extra parts needed for the job. i.e. motor mounts.

It is alot of money and it sucks that I have to spend it. But I feel that a new model Ford Explorer with less miles is only going to incur the same repairs that I just went through (minus the motor). AND I'll have a car payment on top of it.

I will read the maintenance board. A sincere thanks.

I think its a no brainer if you can get the engine done at that price. You have so much done already and most of them are the common issues for Explorers.

Unless your buying a brand new car you are potentially buying more problems. Actually you would for sure will be buying new problems with any used car. Whos to say a new, used car, doesnt blow a tranny in the first year you own it? Then your stuck paying for a new tranny AND you still have car payments. And you still have all the nigly repairs that you have already done on your curent Ex.

Put it this way. Even the most expensive repair for your current Ex would not cost more than 1 years worth of car payments.

Back