Gas Mileage..help

SQExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Somewhere in Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Hey guys,
Now it seems that I will be taking some classes. Although as great as that sounds, It will not be so great into my pocketbook. I will be traveling 50 miles a day/250 a week, at 65 mph.

I am looking OHV Explorer owners highway gas mileage. I would also like to know what your gear ratio is.

To KKM/IFAB intake owners- What was your before mpg and after?

Are they're any other ways of keeping gas mileage down?

So far, I've put in Bosch Platinums in and keep my tire pressure up but besides that, I'm out of ideas. Any insites.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, get a manual tranny. They average about 3 miles per gallon better on the highway and in the city, not to mention are much better suited to off road driving than the auto.

Mine gets about 19 mpg on the highway, but when in the city, I get only like 13 mpg and I don't have a lead foot either. Right now, I get a range of about 320 miles in a tank of gas...that's only when I drive 80% highway and 20% city. If it's the other way around, I could only drive like 240 miles.

A dramatic improvement in gas mileage happened when I changed my spark plugs and wires. I used Motorcraft double plats and wires because I've heard that there're problems associated with Bosch plugs. Another is to change the O2 sensors.

Originally posted by '96explorereddiebauer

A dramatic improvement in gas mileage happened when I changed my spark plugs and wires. I used Motorcraft double plats and wires because I've heard that there're problems associated with Bosch plugs. Another is to change the O2 sensors.

the only reason you saw an improvment is because you replaced old worn plugs with new ones. if your engines current state of tune is good switching plugs will yield no appreciable results...

Clean your mass air flow sensor as well.

I get about 18 city on my 97 OHV, and 21 Highway.

I get 11.5 city 16 hwy on my 93 with the 3.73LS. And that's after new plugs and wires.

I have tried almost everything to get better mpg's and im still stuck around 14mpg. These engines suck gas like there is no tomorrow and there is nothing you can do.

So far I have done; plugs, wires, synthetic oil, fuel filter, air filter, cleaned maf, increased tire pressure, stoped romping on the gas. I do about 130 miles on the high way and about 110 in the city a week.

Im at 11 with my 31's and 3.73 in city. I just put on 33's ill know by the end of the week how much of an impact theyll do...

Bottom line the A #1 way to mind your MPG's is drive gently.
As some one once said
" Drive like your gas pedal is an egg "

I get 18 mpg city even with my heavy foot. I do have a 5 spd though.

I was faced with the same issue, except for work.

I now get 40 mpg......I parked my Explorer and commute on my Honda Shadow....

<grin>

I know thats not what you are looking for, but thebest you will do is maybe 1-2 mpg with hopups....

Drive very gently and maybe a tad more, but come on....let be honest...we didnt get the Explorers because they get great mileage....

WHat kills ME ist hat I get 14-17 mpg TOPS and so do the Durangos with the 230 hp V8s....all that extra power is enticeing me.

DZ

Originally posted by SQExplorer
Hey guys,
Now it seems that I will be taking some classes. Although as great as that sounds, It will not be so great into my pocketbook. I will be traveling 50 miles a day/250 a week, at 65 mph.

I am looking OHV Explorer owners highway gas mileage. I would also like to know what your gear ratio is.

To KKM/IFAB intake owners- What was your before mpg and after?

Are they're any other ways of keeping gas mileage down?

So far, I've put in Bosch Platinums in and keep my tire pressure up but besides that, I'm out of ideas. Any insites.

I've got the 4.0 OHV with 3.73 rear end and auto tranny.

I can average 20mpg doing strictly highway driving. Around town I'm getting 17.

Just for comparison,

91 4x4 5spd, 4.0 L 3.73 gears and 30x9.5x15.
I'm getting 17-18 mpg average, 20 hwy with cruise set at 75mph

Aloha Buddy, try using the new Shell gasolines. Check out their websites and reviews on the new reformulated stuff they just put out that they say actually improves gas mileage. According to the literature you could gain an additional 125 miles if you drive 12,500 a year, using their "friction reducing" fuel. Small gains - 1% - but it's something. Another is to run with the A/C off - impossible to do where I live in Hawaii. My mileage goes from 14 to almost 20 mpg with the A/C off. A third thing you could do is to change to a more efficient air filter - more air into the engine means a more efficient burn - which may or may not help with the mileage. Grab a hold of some performance mags for import cars - you'd be surprised how fanatical they really are about wrenching performance, efficiency AND mileage out of their rice rockets, and perhaps you could adapt some gear to your Explorer. Everyone here harps about Ford engines' sucky gas mileage and you know we should start a letter to Ford about this.

Thanks for all of your insites guys!

I would like to switch to Shell gasoline but there isn't a shell for atleast 200-240 miles. But I'm sure its worth the trip there and back :D

-Josh

Techron is also a great fuel to use from Chevron. Can help clean out the fuel system and give you better mileage as a result.

Majisto- Are you holding down TCCA for me and keeping greg in line? ;)

-Josh

Originally posted by SQExplorer
Majisto- Are you holding down TCCA for me and keeping greg in line? ;)

-Josh
Huh? I should know who Greg is, but I don't...d'oh.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Greg- Dopey idiot with old Rusty SHO that still wants to bet pinks against the SS :D
aka Tman

Ring a bell?

Back