Gas Mileage Question

Neptune1

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all,
Got a 2010 XLT here. 6 Cyl. We've had it about 3 months now. Love it! nice riding vehicle. We have noticed it gets around 16 in the city and 20 on the highway. Does this sound correct you all of you?

Also I know this is an old question. But... is there truly anything you can do to improve gas mileage other than the usual tire pressure and use cruise control?

Thanks in advance...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hahaaa..... thats what I had guessed. I imagine some company somewhere has invented something that can
save you gas, with the exception of just driving it less :) .

Here's a question: why do the newer last couple years of Explorers get so much better
gas mileage? just read Up to 20 city / 28 highway

That mileage sounds right I get somewhere between 14 and 16 in the city and about 20 on the highway. I have not read of anything that can be done increase you gas milage significantly.

To answer your other question the simple answer is newer technology the new explorers have more efficient higher output motors and different gearing in the drivetrain.

Driving style and speed will make way more influence in mileage than any over the counter parts.

I recently did 170 mile one way drive to Saratoga New York filling up at both ends, and got 22.3 mpg keeping my cruising speed between 65 and 72, so I could have done a little better if I had kept my speed down.

Around town with my wife driving it through her normal weekly routine, it is typically around 13 mpg.

I am OK with the mileage of my truck considering after all it is a seven passenger 4 Wheel Dr. truck with good comfort. My other car is a 2002 Nissan Xterra 3.3 V6 automatic which is smaller, lighter, 40 less HP, yet the best I have ever gone on a Similar highway drive was 17MPG, so if I could complain about either one of these vehicles it would be the Xterra

Clean Ford Air Filter installed, good oil and synthetic makes a difference especially as winter is hear. Then its all up to your Foot, have stern talk to that guy and make some changes to your foot. Run quality name brand gas. Not no name station which at not Tier 1 gas.

hahaaa..... thats what I had guessed. I imagine some company somewhere has invented something that can
save you gas, with the exception of just driving it less :) .

Here's a question: why do the newer last couple years of Explorers get so much better
gas mileage? just read Up to 20 city / 28 highway

The new ones get better mileage with the ecoboost if you keep your foot off the pedal. As soon as you lay into it and the turbo's wind up, it drops to about the same. That's why all the ecoboost F150 owners ***** about mileage when they put their trucks to work. And at the higher RPM of the smaller CI, its more wear and tear. Though the ecoboost is build much more stout, like a diesel. It takes a certain amount of energy to move a large mass, and though the ecoboost is more efficient, you can only get so much energy from a fixed amount of gasoline. And these things are heavy pigs with the aerodynamics of a brick. The V8 gets ballpark the same mileage as the 6, better if towing, but they do have an extra gear.

Also stay away from them due to the integrated water pump build into the block. It fails and take out the motor then your screw with a huge bill.

You have more Tier ! gas stations in the US than in Canada. We have 3 only. Shell, Esso, & Petro Canada, that's it. If you check the USA listing its quite long Exxon Mobil Shell etc are well know names I would trust for example. If I am wrong is due to your location omitted from you non existent signature and data!!!

Look at the upper right for your ID "DesetExplorer2010" click on it and you will see "Signature" in the popup box. I think you can manage from there.

Excellent, wasn't hard in the end. You can add to it as things come up such as AWD if you get that on it later. LOL

Look at the upper right for your ID "DesetExplorer2010" click on it and you will see "Signature" in the popup box. I think you can manage from there.
Lighten up dude don't be so condescending

That was INSTRUCTIONS to find it. I didn't know until I searched for the place for him!!! I may not be light as a feather but as much as I can.

I get around 12 and 20, the gas out here is pretty bad so I get premium "95", which is less bad. The air filter has been changed today, it was filthy.

so the fuel is "bad" so you use a higher octane "slower burning" fuel? what am I missing here?..... give me a choice of 87 or 93 octane deer piss and i would still choose 87

Octane Rating is not the burn rate of the fuel.

Octane rating is the resistance to pre-ignition.

The higher the number the higher the resistance.

However, some countries use a different index than the U.S. does.

Higher is not necessarily better if the engine is not configured for it. Timing etc going from the norm 87 to 89 or 91 maybe would not have an effect although there is a difference at 91 but 95 is likely worst being too far off design spec's. You'd have to go back to a lower grade and compare. I doubt you have ethanol in your gas as we do in North America which is hard on the engines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty simplified, but the way I understand it, the higher the octane, the more you can compress without it detonating. The air fuel mix will detonate without spark under high enough compression, its how a diesel works. If you are running high compression or forcing more air in you need higher octane. If not its a waste of money but it wont hurt anything. The tighter you squish that mixture (or squish in more air) before you make it pop, the more of a boom you get. They muck with the timing on the ecoboost to avoid this issue with the turbos. That's why if you screw with the SW on those things you can relay make them sing. That's also why most custom daily driver turbos only run around 8:1 compression. Now if only there were some cheap way to up octane ratings, we could run 12:1 on all our vehicles and really rip... without dying of lead poisoning that is.

Back