• Register Today It's free!

Gas Mileage

Bgunit68

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer Sport Trac
I bought a 2002 Sport Trac about a year ago. After having several issues (timing chain, ball joint) taken care of the truck seems to be running quite well. I was wondering what kind of gas mileage a 2002 should get. I bought the car used from my Subaru dealer as a second car. I have a Tribeca which gets about 19 city and 23 highway (when I drive it) 16 city and 19 highway (when my girl drives it). On the Sport Trac I'm getting around 15 mpg. Is this what I should be getting? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my '04 2wd Sport Trac I get about 17-18mpg city and 21-22mpg highway. Yours does sound a bit low, but if yours is a 4x4 and that's just city driving, it might be about right. Hope that helps.

Tom

Oh, and what's the mileage on your '02? A quick tune-up might help your mileage a bit.

Tom

do a search for "my quest for 30" by Aldive, he has a 99 SOHC V6 and he gets 30+ on the highway, so i'd imagine city mileage is pretty good as well. should give you a lot of tips on what you can do

Thank you. Like I said I really like the truck. This site has been a great help with it too. Thanks again!

I'd say that 15 mpg on average is about right.

'01 4wd, ~133k miles (edit:forgot to say 4wd before and miles)
14 city
20 hiway

edit 2: bought scangaugeII, got 17mpg city only

02 4wd w/265-75-16, k&n, 75k miles, 17mpg highway, 13mpg city or when towing a tent trailer

My 01 56K 4x4 255-70R16 with stock tonneau, running boards, skid plates and added K&N and hitch gets a combined 17 ~ 20 mpg. I would guess 70 to 80 percent highway miles.

I've also been driving like a granny, slow accelerations, lots of coasting down and keeping it under 75 on the freeways.

I've noticed that it's REALLY hard to accurately calculate MPG because you can never tell if the tank is really full. If you stop at the first couple clicks, I find that you still have 5 gallons of capacity left. I've filled up when the needle is slightly below E, and nursed it in and got 24.5 gallons in the tank!!

Harrykon,
You can accurately track your mileage. Each time you filll up your tank you should do the same thing every time.
My routine is fillup until the pump cuts off. Wait 10 seconds. Then fillup till the pump cuts off again and your done. I've found its best to fillup on the next to highest speed the pump will go. I'm referring to the handsfree settings on the pump those little clicks you put the pump in to be able to let go of the pump handle. Just do that everytime or something similar and you will have a very accurate measure of mpg.

I'm averaging 25.5mpg over the past few months. My last fillup was 27mpg. I believe 30mpg is possible. I"m using a scangauge to improve my results. I've found monitoring the IGN and TPS values from the explorer is the key to better mileage.

Well, if you can't monitor all of the above just do what you can. Tune up, tire pressure, air filter etc.. I'm in an 01 ST 4x4 and my highway best was 16.5. That's running cruise controll at speed limit, no passing. In town is 14-15. It sucks but like you said, I love the truck.

Look up Aldives "Mileage monster" of his "quest for thirty" Read and learn.

I have an 03 4x4, 76k miles and I get 20-21 doing mainly city driving with the a/c on non stop. I will say, after I got a tonneau cover, K&N filter and removed the air silencer I got about 50-60 miles more to the tank.

2005 ST 4x2 w/4.10 locking rear end, 22+mpg highway, 15-16mpg city. I have 26k miles on her. Only mod I've done is remove the silencer. It came with the factory split tonneau.

So what is the air silencer and how does it affect gas mileage?

I've got an 04 2wd 6 cyl. with a K&N in the stock filter box was doing about 400 mi to the tank. Now I'm doing about 420 to 430. And that's with A/C most of the time. But I drive like a grandma and I live in FL so there are no hillls or anything.

Back