Gas Tank Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas Tank Thread

got an idea for ya on this. remove the tank and throw it away!!!
go to the junk yard or neighbors yard that owns a bronco 2 and still the tank that sits behind the rear dif and fab some brackets and install it in your x where the spare tire use to sit. my 2 cents

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whats the capacity of the b2 tank? Will i have to change out fuel lines, fill hoses and rewire the fuel pump.. those questions are easy answered but seem like more work and cost more. ya i know it costs to play. but i figured it would be easier to lift it up and throw a skid plate over it.

wattsgame said:
got an idea for ya on this. remove the tank and throw it away!!!
go to the junk yard or neighbors yard that owns a bronco 2 and still the tank that sits behind the rear dif and fab some brackets and install it in your x where the spare tire use to sit. my 2 cents

I've been kicking around this idea for some time now. Actually, there are quite a few phenolic Zeep tanks that will fit behind the rear axle and hold more than the B2 tank. Additionally, there are skid plates to go with those tanks. I believe the issue here is the way the fuel system works. As far as I can tell, there's a supply (to engine) and 'return' (to tank from engine) as well as some vapor ports, too. I don't think it's as simple as swapping tanks.

My 99 Limited chassis is bare now. I will take a couple of pictures of the gas tank, but I think that there are a few items keeping it from being raised.

Sectioning the tank might be a more feasable idea, if the plastic could be properly fused together.
Don

i was thinking about this last night

what if it cut a section out of the top of the tank, to clear the cross member to raise it up? I'd probably loose a gallon or 3, but it might be the most cost effective way.

CDW6212R said:
My 99 Limited chassis is bare now. I will take a couple of pictures of the gas tank, but I think that there are a few items keeping it from being raised.

Sectioning the tank might be a more feasable idea, if the plastic could be properly fused together.
Don

Don do you have a body lift? when i did the body lift i was looking around under it, the only thing i saw was the crossmemeber.. it was in march and i was home on leave (which makes everthing fuzzy due to the amount of alchol intake). I got my return date pushed back now, i wont hit stateside till mid to late june, maybe july but when i do get back, it will be done, anyone near NC got a metal break so i can bend the metal easier?

zhanx said:
Don do you have a body lift? ...

No, my 99 chassis is separated because I am soon going to drop my 93 body onto it. I am about finished with any work that I can do before the swap.
Don

Back