• Register Today It's free!

gas

lowbudrec

Reaction score
City, State
cincinnati
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 eddie bauer
I have a gas smell in my cabin and outside my truck something may be leaking Ihave a gas smell on my shoe from right behind my exaust. Any help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't really help but I remember a guy posting here that had the gas smell. He later posted pics of his Explorer after putting out the fire. I would search this forum and fix that problem immediately.

That is NOT good. I have no suggestions besides don't drive and try searching real hard on this site for a remedy.

Assuming your '94 is like my '92 (and I'm pretty sure that it is), fuel tank and fuel lines are on the drivers side, exhaust is on the passenger side. If the smell seems to be coming from around the exhaust outlet, I would first suspect that it is a case of fuel being dumped into the cylinders and passed out the exhaust. Can you confirm this?

Other things to look at:
Put a fuel pressure guage on the fuel rail and see if the fuel system is holding pressure. This will only check the pump to rail plumbing and not the return line.
Check CANP solenoid to see if it's opening. I've heard of more than one of these where the CANP solenoid stops opening which causes gas fumes to come out the charcoal cannister.

The same thing(gas smell) happened to me. I would smell gas very strongly in the cab while driving and when I got out. I found out it was only leaking gas when it was on and it turned out that there are 2 tubes(no idea what they are called) that come up out of the gas tank that are metal. They rusted and one of them had a pin hole in it and thats what was causing the gas smell. Check to see if it only leaks when running maybe? I hope this helps.

I suspect the 2 tubes you refer to are the nipples on the fuel pump. It's not uncommon for them them to rust thus causing a fuel leak when the truck is running. Unfortunately, you have to drop the tank and replace the FP assembly to fix it.

also can the fuel pump lock ring it happen to my 93 it rusted right in half but again you have drop the tank and y i was their i change the pump i was not takeing that tank out again

Back