Gauge cluster lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gauge cluster lights

I know that 194 bulbs will fit in the cluster, but does anyone know if the 906 type bulbs will fit. I know they will fit in the socket, but will there be enough clearance between the socket and the gauges for the bigger bulb to fit? If anyone knows or has access to a cluster that can test this for me, I would really appeciate it. I am wanting to replace the clear bulbs with blue bulbs and I would like the blue to really stand out.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have an extra cluster.

assuming the 906 is a 912 replacement...
no, the head is to big

Ok I got bored today and tested the clearance of the 906 bulbs. The results....no big suprise.....they do not fit. The 906 bulb is too tall to fit into the cluster. So, I will continue using 194s.

Michael

mdriggan said:
Ok I got bored today and tested the clearance of the 906 bulbs. The results....no big suprise.....they do not fit. The 906 bulb is too tall to fit into the cluster. So, I will continue using 194s.

Michael

they werent to wide? just to tall?

Saleen_SR71 said:
they werent to wide? just to tall?

Yeah, the glass "post" on the underside of the gauge pod hits the top of the bulb and will not "seat" into the cluster. The width would be fine, just the height is the problem. Im considering using the 194 hyper white bulbs with blue gel caps. Im also wondering if the bulbs will get to hot and melt the caps? Dont need a fire in my face driving down the highway..... :eek:

Michael

mdriggan said:
Yeah, the glass "post" on the underside of the gauge pod hits the top of the bulb and will not "seat" into the cluster. The width would be fine, just the height is the problem. Im considering using the 194 hyper white bulbs with blue gel caps. Im also wondering if the bulbs will get to hot and melt the caps? Dont need a fire in my face driving down the highway..... :eek:

Michael

id prolly use LED bulbs since they draw less power than regular bulbs and are brighter.

a big question of mine would be

How many bulbs do I need

Should I get the 5 watt LED bulb or 25 watt bulb?

Afboy143 said:
id prolly use LED bulbs since they draw less power than regular bulbs and are brighter.

a big question of mine would be

How many bulbs do I need

Should I get the 5 watt LED bulb or 25 watt bulb?

You would need 6 bulbs total. Im not sure of the wattage. I would like to try LEDS but I have not had good luck with the ones I have experimented with and have had to return them. My only concern with LEDS in the cluster is that there will be a bright spot where the light is then start to fade as the light speads out over the dial. I am trying to get a uniform look, so thats why im staying with the regular type bulbs. Only blue in this case.Hope this helps.

Michael

Back