Gear Oil Leak from Rear Differential | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear Oil Leak from Rear Differential

pcsullivan91

Reaction score
City, State
Huntersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
good afternoon gentleman. Had to change my fuel pump this weekend and noticed a bad oil leak. It's definitely my rear gear oil in the rearend b/c i changed it like a month or two ago and it still looks clean.
My question to you though, the way its leaking it looks like I did a good job sealing up the rear plate and the leak seems to be coming from where the reaer end meets the drive shaft??
Here's a picture
1117101321.jpg
[/URL]

It's dry around the cover but looks like it is driping down from the driveshaft?

Did my new fluid screw up a seal? is there a seal there?

thanks

Sorry about gigantic picture.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, looks like a pinion seal leak to me. Your oil may have been low enough/dirty enough to not leak out much before you changed it.

Pinionsealleak.jpg

This is one you may want to have done by a repair shop due to special tools and procedures.

dang that sucks. Ya i didn't overfill it. just to the bottom of the fill whole. Thats stupid it will start leaking with new fluid i would have left the old crap in... Thanks though guys.

So this isn't a do it yourselfer? thats a bummer i'm a cheap ass.

I had the same problem a few months ago, and Ncranchero is right, its probably the pinion seal

I tried to do it myself, but ended up having to give it to a shop to take care of it for me because i couldn't even get the first bolts off

Back