• Register Today It's free!

Gear Ratio

cole01

Reaction score
City, State
Dryden
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Bronco 2
I have a 8.8 rear axle with a 3.55 gear ratio and a dana 30 with a 3.50 will this setup work, not sure if they have to be the same.:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

both axles have to be the same ratio. if not you could break the transfer case or something else in the drivetrain

I have the same ratios and after three years of fairly heavy use (off road and at highway speeds on snow and ice)have had no issues.I have known of some factory setups similar to this still with no issues.I was told once it is done to help the front end pull better.

3:50/3:55 will be fine, its not different enough to matter. Alot of vehicles have slightly different factory ratios. EB's had 4:11/4:09 as an example.

You can find 3.55 D30s as well, but the 3.55 and 3.50 isn't too much of a difference.

Just bought a X with a 3.45 Ranger front, and (I suspect) a 3.55 Explorer rear. Is that too different for limited usage? (It's slated for 3.73 F&R, or 4.10 if/when I can.)

TIA!

What in the hell is it doing with a D28 front axle (3.45 was never made for the D35)? That much of a differece is pushing it for any harder surface use. Get a D35 in there if you plan on doing any real wheeling.

What's that D30 out of? The only ones worth using are in the late model Heeps and they are 90% 3.54 gears.

What in the hell is it doing with a D28 front axle (3.45 was never made for the D35)? That much of a differece is pushing it for any harder surface use. Get a D35 in there if you plan on doing any real wheeling.

I bought this unfinished project from a buddy.. he bought it unfinished from a guy that had installed some skyjacker parts and Ranger axles. The rear axle didn't make the cut so it had a SOA Explorer axle shoved back under it.

The front axle tag shows 3 45. Rear has no tag, need to verify it, but it runs about the same rpms as my f150 with a 3.50 rear...

Yup, i'm looking for better stuff!

Back