• Register Today It's free!

Gear shift has slid down a notch

wazzles

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I have a 1997 ford explorer xlt with 274k on it. When I put my car in Drive it is neutral when I put the car in "2" it is in overdrive. Everything is shifted one notch on the dash. What is going on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

adjustment is easy. (with the e brake set) just go under it and there's an adjustment at the trans end.. ah n/m that link probably has it, too ;)

I'll read these links and see if it looks easy enough that I could do it.

Hey all,

After following the threads provided by scucci, I thought I would post my experience here

I found the wheel without having to take anything apart... unfortunatly, my white bracket was broken. I realized this meant i would have to take the panels off... :(

You will need the following:

5/16 socket (for the bolts holding the metal plate)
9/32 socket (for the screws holding the engine release and the plastic cover)
7/32 socket (only needed if the white bracket holding the thumb wheel has come loose)
short socket extension
small ziptie

After removing the hood release (2 screws, I suggest the short extension here), and the plastic cover (2 screws), pop the plastic cover off from the top (held in 2 places). Take care not to break off the tabs that hold the cover in place. Not much force is needed...

Removing the metal plate requires taking the 6 bolts out using the 5/16 socket. Be careful not to loose any of the nut clips that the bolts go into. One of mine came off when i removed the plate, but I was able to squeeze it back together a bit and put it back on.

Once you can see the broken bracket, screw the thumb wheel counter clockwise until it's halfway between the end of the threaded part. this is where you can hold the wheel against the part of the white bracket that is still attached and see if your indicator is lined up again. You may need more or less depending...

Take the small ziptie and run it on the left (top) side of the cable. Take it easy with the copper cable, and make sure the ziptie is only squeezing the white pieces back together. Clip the excess ziptie off, and test your shifter!!

You should be able to reverse the process and put everything back together for a grand total time of around 10-15 mins.

Good Luck!

shiftindicatorwheel1.jpg

shiftindicatorwheel2.jpg

:salute:

Back