Gear splitter/aux trans/overdrive unit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear splitter/aux trans/overdrive unit?

burke753

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
Ok, ive been searching around a bit for a gear splitter of some sort. I've had a gear vendors unit in the past on another truck and it made a huge difference. I have an M5OD and am wondering if anyone has seen a setup for it, and/or the bw1354 t-case. Ive been all over the internet and havent seen one, i didnt try ebay yet though. but idk. Was there ever any such thing made for these trucks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Do a search on here for "doubler"...;)

Yeah, Im familiar with the doublers, well kind of. haha.

But I thought that will only give me deep reduction? Im sorry, I wasnt so clear in the first post. I am looking more for an extra overdrive. right now I use my truck more for highway driving as Im going to school, eventually Ill need deep reduction, but right now Im looking for lower highway cruising rpm at 75, without sacrificing the low end I have. I really don't want to go any lower in the diff than the 3.55's I was just wondering If I could get an extra overdrive.

If a doubler would work for that too, Ill do some more in depth research about putting one together. It's just hard to find an answer because everyone that uses a doubler is wanting the super deep reduction, they provide, no one talks about if they can be used for overdrive or not. I didnt think they could? But I've also been wrong more times than not.

...What tires do you have??What was the other truck that had this??

...I am somewhat familiar with what you are talking about but I've only seen this on fullsize and heavy duty trucks...Usually they are electronic but they split the gears at the rearend, not the transfer case...

It was an F350 it had the Gear vendors under/overdrive unit. It was a unit, that repleced the stock tailhousing of the trans, it was an electronicly controlled splitter. I think it kind of worked almost like an aux trans, that you would find on a heavy duty semi trans.

I didnt think I could find one for something like our light duties but I was wondering if there was one that I could replace the t-case tailhousing with or if it would go between the trans and the t case? Like I said its probably not around but was wondering if there was one by some off chance.

As far as my explorer's setup its just stock I have BFG all terrains, but they are the stock 235/75/15's. Its got a stock M5OD and 3.55 gears it cruises at 3k at 75MPH

I put in a stubbler (short doub ler) but you are right deep gears--- but I would suggest 3:73's or 4:11's -- I have 33's and 4:56's with an m5od-- 75mph 2,500k ish.

I'm not aware of such an overdrive unit available for the lighter-duty M5OD trans.

One thing you could do... Drop down to 3.27 gears in the axle (though I doubt this will improve your mileage any), then swap the gears in your 4.0L M5OD for the gearset out of any non-4.0L M5OD (2.3, 2.9 or 3.0L). The 4.0L version has a bit steeper 1st gear (3.40:1) vs the others (3.72:1). That would help get back some of what you lost to the taller rearend gears (though you'd still only have 5 total speeds).

I'm not aware of such an overdrive unit available for the lighter-duty M5OD trans.

One thing you could do... Drop down to 3.27 gears in the axle (though I doubt this will improve your mileage any), then swap the gears in your 4.0L M5OD for the gearset out of any non-4.0L M5OD (2.3, 2.9 or 3.0L). The 4.0L version has a bit steeper 1st gear (3.40:1) vs the others (3.72:1). That would help get back some of what you lost to the taller rearend gears (though you'd still only have 5 total speeds).

Alright thank you. Thats all I needed to know.

thats a good idea, but not practical for the two more years its got left as a highway vehicle. I dont want to have to do that much re gearing twice, nut definitely thank you for the idea, and the answer to my question.

Alright thank you. Thats all I needed to know.

thats a good idea, but not practical for the two more years its got left as a highway vehicle. I dont want to have to do that much re gearing twice, nut definitely thank you for the idea, and the answer to my question.

In all this back and forth, somebody could have just Googled it, and found the company website:
http://www.gearvendors.com/index.html
http://www.gearvendors.com/install.html

Call them, and ask. I don't see an M5OD specifically listed, but that doesn't mean they don't have it/can't make it. It looks like new complete setups run between $2495 and $3995, depending on trans and options.

Back