gearing issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

gearing issue

gt fast

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xl
so i have a 92 explorer 4.0 2wd. the tag on the diff cover says s624B on top and the bottom says 3 08 88 2622. now im assuming its a 8.8 rearend but whats the gearing. im asking couse i went to 31's and my gas milage got terrible and i lost a huge amount of acceleration. im wanting to lift it about 2-4 inches and possibly run 33's, whats a good ratio for those. and how hard is it to change my gearing in my driveway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a 3.08 Open Rear-end.

When you re-gear, put a Trac-Loc/Posi/Limited Slip Differential...

Ryan

For 33s, i would say 4.10 if you do mostly street driving and 4.56 if you do more offroad.

Atleast 4.56 and if your asking how hard is it to do in a driveway,you probably shouldnt try and do gears.

http://www.greenfries.info/rear_gear.htm

not exactly a driveway process,, better to take it somewhere,

AGREED!!!!

Why not search for another axle that has been fitted w/ these gears?

Search on here in the parts for sale section or on CL in your area. Bolting in an axle that has been redone is far easier than pulling yours and essentially rebuilding it with the proper gears.

cool, thanks for the input. ive done a gear swap in school a long time ago and dont remeber exactly how hard it was, but i know there was some tricks here and there.

Back