gear help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

gear help

gt fast

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xl
hey i got a 92 explorer, now the gear tag says its the 3.73 with open diff. i found a 8.8 with limited slip and 4.10's in there. i live in colorado where its very hilly and i drop gears alot and bog some, i did have 31's but went back to stock ize due to the hills and gas. my question is would the 4.10's help out here, i do highway driving a fewq times a week at 65 to 75 mph. thanks

hey i got a 92 explorer, now the gear tag says its the 3.73 with open diff. i found a 8.8 with limited slip and 4.10's in there. i live in colorado where its very hilly and i drop gears alot and bog some, i did have 31's but went back to stock ize due to the hills and gas. my question is would the 4.10's help out here, i do highway driving a fewq times a week at 65 to 75 mph. thanks

i'd say yes, however are you sure youre in tip top running shape? Also do you drive around in "drive" or overdrive"? From what I have gathered off of this forum these A4LDs appreciate "D" more than "OD" unless on flat highway. This leads me to ask a question which i should of asked first, are you manual or auto?

what do you really have???:scratch::scratch::dunno::dunno:
so i have a 92 explorer 4.0 2wd. the tag on the diff cover says s624B on top and the bottom says 3 08 88 2622. now im assuming its a 8.8 rearend but whats the gearing. im asking couse i went to 31's and my gas milage got terrible and i lost a huge amount of acceleration. im wanting to lift it about 2-4 inches and possibly run 33's, whats a good ratio for those. and how hard is it to change my gearing in my driveway.

and what do you really want to do?lift or lower?:scratch::scratch::dunno::dunno:
ryan, how much is your 1st gen lowered. i have a 91 2wd i want to lower but cant find anything except blocking the rear. how do i go about doing the lowering where cobra wheels would fit nicely. id like a noticable differance from stock if possible
:popcorn::popcorn:

Back