Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
RockAuto still has some of the Gabriel 61624 ProGuard shock absorbers. 2 or 3 weeks ago several of us were discussing the really good price on the shocks. $7.73 each. Last week we ordered 6. ~ 2 weeks ago, RockAuto had 138 in inventory. I/we bought 6. Last check, RockAuto has 118 available. The fit Gen IIs and I know that they fit our 2002 Sport Trac. RockAuto didn't show that they fit Gen 1s, but the measurements compared to an 81823 is so close that they will bolt on.
Saturday, I looked on my parts shelves and there is a pair purchased 3 years ago of the same Gabriel 61624. I bet I paid about $23- each.
RockAuto shock absorbers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gen 1 has same rear setup as gen ii sports and sport tracs no different

I was going to buy the $7 Gabriel’s but when I was on there I decided to spend a little more I got Monroe’s for our 03 trac here and the rears w the helper springs still a good deal for $75

Okay okay I ordered 4 of the $7 Gabe’s and 4 of the $12.50 front shocks. We have some explorers that could use them.. love
Close outs!

RockAuto still has some of the Gabriel 61624 ProGuard shock absorbers. 2 or 3 weeks ago several of us were discussing the really good price on the shocks. $7.73 each. Last week we ordered 6. ~ 2 weeks ago, RockAuto had 138 in inventory. I/we bought 6. Last check, RockAuto has 118 available. The fit Gen IIs and I know that they fit our 2002 Sport Trac. RockAuto didn't show that they fit Gen 1s, but the measurements compared to an 81823 is so close that they will bolt on.
Saturday, I looked on my parts shelves and there is a pair purchased 3 years ago of the same Gabriel 61624. I bet I paid about $23- each.
RockAuto shock absorbers
I think I'll order a couple, at that price can't lose! They only fit the rear and not the front?

wollimann is correct. Factory ride height except adjustable suspension.
At RockAuto, 99 shocks available as of June 2nd 2024 @5:15 a.m., central time USA.
They fit the rear only.

June 13th, 2024, 96 remaining.

Back