Get Out of Denver Baby, Go, GO! (moving to no emissions land) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Get Out of Denver Baby, Go, GO! (moving to no emissions land)

Blown

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X-Edge
Get Out of Denver Baby, Go, GO! You look just like a commie and might just be a member baby get out of Denver Baby, Go!

Name that Artist?

I posted-up about exhaust limitations about a month ago and being limited by emission rules here in Denver.................Moving to the Front Range, Montrose CO. No more emissions!!!!! I'll have my 400 horses and 460 ftlbs of torque with larger exhaust downpipes and high flow cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get out of Denver Baby! Go!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Smart move
Emissions testing is a joke it’s a losing money business model and those are your tax dollars
I’ve never heard that song but I feel like I had a part in writing it! Hahahaha

Bob Seger - "Get out of Denver"

It is beautiful here but has gotten way too populated with heavy traffic to get anywhere we like to go..................

Looks like an August or Sept. move. I'll be busy putting in a fence and getting settled. It's likely next spring I can build some bigger downtubes and get some high flow cats. I will look for some bigger maybe for a 351W and modify.

Let's go I live in Wyoming no emissions either.

I remember the days when your mechanic would just throw another vehicle on the sniffer and slap an inspection sticker on your modified car

SC.. No emissions testing and No safety inspections either.

Details, but a good ones. My existing garage door is 7' tall and is too short to get into with my cargo box/ski box mounted. The new place has an 8' insulated garage door, and all walls are insulated and sheet rocked. Those are big upgrades for a guy who spends time in his garage and is retiring.

I recently cranked down torsion bars and drilled new holes in the rear shackles to lower my rig back to stock..................................I am moving to an area with a lot of dirt roads and off-roading. I am going to raise it again and still have my set of Wildpeak AT3's to be able to air-down and not get beat to death. I can also see doing the T-case swap because I will want 4Low and a locker for the rear. That will be a little excess for what we will be doing, no winch but I keep a strap, D-rings, winch rope and a come along onboard just in case..................................

More smart moves!
I never thought I would leave colorado
Best thing we ever did! Get away from the Denver metro area, retire, live
Life rural! Better air no traffic no rage no emissions ;)

Thanks!

I am in a little bit of shock, it's a big change, we have been looking, but this came-up quick. We have twenty plus years here, lot's of good times but it has changed. The move is almost all positive................I get to retire, slow down, and play more.

With a quick look I found a 2 1/2" Y-pipe for a 351W Bronco. I got to look at our set-up and see the bends but think something like it would work with some mods...................................I wonder about the connector, but I got plenty to do to get this house on the market ASAP.

I remember the days when your mechanic would just throw another vehicle on the sniffer and slap an inspection sticker on your modified car

As a dealership tech I can tell you that was still happening up until recently. They updated a lot of the computers we use to do state inspections. Even with the OBD2 reader we had prior a different car could be hooked up, and it was dumb enough not to know the difference. It only looked to see if the check engine light was on and if the readiness monitors were set. It wouldn't look at the VIN stored in the control units. The new ones do, but that's the beauty of living in a non-emission County. No worries. I live in a non-emission county, and work in an emission county.

I think my catalytic converters are still working
I don't live in the Emissions land either and I love it

I got no problem running high flow cats, but here they want you to keep all the stock stuff or it has to be CARB approved for your specific vehicle. That's from the air intake box to the catalytic converters with no tuning allowed. There are no CARB approved larger downpipes etc etc. Robert got the approval for his Torque Monster Headers. I don't want to pollute but will use more fuel, more efficiently, to make more power.

Hmmmmmm, I am moving to the same altitude, about 5,800'. I will have more opportunity to get down to the southwest deserts at 1,500' and below. I looked at getting a smaller pulley for those altitudes, but I can keep the boost and just add a bottle of octane boost.

I keep a bottle of this stuff around for the really hot days just in case

Thanks,
Looks like good stuff.

Every 1,000 foot gained is equal to .5 octane and vice versa.

I like Lucas. There are many out there that do not get you a true 3 points of octane. I used a couple of bottles for recent trip to Moab, wasn't that warm, but the altitude is 2000 feet lower.

I like Lucas. There are many out there that do not get you a true 3 points of octane.
The advertising on the bottle makes it sound like it takes 87 octane and bumps it up to 90 but the reality is it bumps 87 octane up to 87.3. Water injection system would be the way to go if you needed to use an octane booster on a regular basis.

I use Lucas because Kenne Bell suggests it, I have researched it, and I disagree with you. Lucas does raise octane by 3 full points, making our 91 premium here 94 or I would have blown this build up! I agree, there are others which do not.

I have no interest in another injection system which if goes bad or dry will blow-up my build. As I stated the few trips to camp and play lower than 3,500' will get the benefit of Lucas Octane boost. Lower than that and one can also get higher octane, add 2 points for that and it will be fine.

I have calculated this out with a spreadsheet which is based on good formula's for Boost, Power and Octane while tuning my own build. I have knowledge and experience that tells me this works.

Kenne Bell Tuning by OctaneNotesOctane Pts
Based on minimum of 91 Octane Premium in Denver (+10 for E85)3 11/16
0.00​
1000′ gain in altitude = .5 octane.5500
2.75​
1 air fuel ratio = 2 octane.1.1
2.20​
1° retard = -.5 octane10
5.00​
ECT drop 10 degrees = 1 octane (Swapped 160 vs stock 192)
3.00​
Lucas Octane Boost Needed for Lower Altitude or boost above 6lbs.
0.00​
1psi boost requires +1.5 octane.-6.60
-9.90​
TOTAL (Safety Margin = 3 points of octane = 60 degrees ambient temp. increase.)
3.05​

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use Lucas because Kenne Bell suggests it, I have researched it, and I disagree with you. Lucas does raise octane by 3 full points, making our 91 premium here 94 or I would have blown this build up! I agree, there are others which do not.

I have no interest in another injection system which if goes bad or dry will blow-up my build. As I stated the few trips to camp and play lower than 3,500' will get the benefit of Lucas Octane boost. One can also get higher octane fuel at lower altitude.

I have calculated this out with a spreadsheet which is based on good formula's for Boost, Power and Octane while tuning my own build.
Their website seems to agree that a point is a fraction.

Screenshot_20230514_082725_Chrome.jpg

Back