james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
this is a mod i did. in no way am i telling you to do it. it could weaken the lower control arm, causing it to fail. i am merely informing others how i fixed the problem, not instucting on how to fix their vehicle, bla bla bla, sorry, i just have to cover my arse.:D anyway, if you look at the picture, there is a big primer spot on the lower control arm. look even closer, and you can see the "lip". i ground the edge off of the lip, and shot primer over it, so you can see it better. this is were the 17x9 R's inner contacts the lower control arm at full turn. it took a few passes to get it right, but now i have full turn lock-to-lock with no rubbing. also, i had to do this years ago on a Chevy 2wd with drop spindles/springs and wheels with mondo backspacing. i drove the truck for 2 years, sold it, and have seen it on the road from time to time. never caused a problem, but it wasnt a baja rig, either.

Attachments

• photo (1) copy (2).jpg
    photo (1) copy (2).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 621

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

new update- i was checkin' out www.steeda.com a little while ago, and they have steering stopper adjusters for the explorer for $10. seems they had the same trouble as us, so they made some. for $10, it would be worth getting these instead of grinding on the control arm or trying to make your own.

I'm gonna order those steering limiters from steeda. Do you know how to get the ones that are on there now off?

cut 'em, i guess. they're just hard plastic. if you get 'em, please post comments here. i considered it, but really no point, since i have removed the part of the a-arm that the wheel rubs on.:p

I ordered them about an hour ago. I will post comments when I put them on.

:confused: So, my steering limiters came today. I ordered the ones for a 96-98 Ranger/Explorer. The bag that the parts came in has the right part # but on the invoice it says its for an 83-97 Ranger. I do not see how these will work. This is what the directions say...

"Remove the bottom caliper retaining bolt from each front spindle.

Install the new longer bolts supplied, through the steering limiters, into the spindle. Hold the steering-limiters upright so the hole is at the bottom while you tighten the bolt."

I thought my steering limiters were on the lower A-arm. I dont remember seeing anything where the spindle hits the limiter that this would attach to. Let me know if you can see how this will work.

Attachments

• sl000001.jpg
    sl000001.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 537

they are on the a-arm, and i dont think those will work. d@mn you, steeda!

I was thinking... Maybe these will work. Maybe they bolt on where they say and that gold looking piece sticks up on the spindle where it hits the little stopper on the A-arm. It raining like crazy here so I cant check yet.

Called Steeda today. These are for the 1st gens. Their site was wrong. Very nice and helpful people to deal with.

Anyone need steering limiters for their I-beam front end?
$5 plus shipping.

Well, these are the ones they say will work. No directions tho. I'll have to call them again. They say they clip onto part of the steering.

Attachments

• sl100001.jpg
    sl100001.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 899

ummm... were do they clip into?

Why not just use wheel spacers. Their cheap and they will push your wheels out about a .25 of an inch. That is what Trckmagik did with his Sport Trac when it was lowered with the Cobra R's and it never hit the control arm.

i dont know if 98Fordx24 ever got his on, and i truly believe he is the only one on this site to own them. im doing some guessing here, but i think your rub is the tire on the sway bar, right? if so, im pretty sure these will not help you...

i never wanted to use wheel spacers for a couple of reasons... 1. the ones that are .25 inch are the el'cheapo pot metal ones that slip on over the stock studs, and are very trouble prone 2. the fronts stick out a little more than the rears (even more when lowered) and i didnt want to add to this, and 3. i didnt want to use the "good spacers" all the way around because i like the wheels tucked just like they are and dont want so much as another .5 sticking out...

Wheel spacers are bad news. I wouldn't want to use them for safty sake. I know a lot of people have them and they are fine. But just the mental thing would be too much for me.

well, if you figure out what it is, were it goes, or how to put it on, let us know.

Yeah, you can just get it from a Ford dealer. I found that out after I got mine. I have not put them in yet because I'm waiting till I get my ball joint replaced. I just got off the phone with Steeda and they said that this just clips on. You have to cut the clamp and slide the boot off of the steering rack and this just clips on. Then just slide the boot back on and apply a new tie around it. One for each side. Sounds pretty easy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back