• Register Today It's free!

285's on second gen pics

Diamond33

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Hey guys im new to the forum just not explorers. i have a 2000 model sport 4x4 with 4.10 and factory lsd. i have a tt/shackle lift with 265/75/16 tires just ordered 16x8 cragar soft 8 wheels and want 285/75/16 i have about an inch of clearance with my 265's right now after minor trimming but they rub the inside of my rear fenderwell at full stuff (have factory sport mono leaf pack) about to swap 4door packs in and keeping my war153 shackles. id like to see pics of 2nd gens with 285's maybe even some 33x12.5 and what modifications you had to fit them. i want them to fit off road when flexing as well as i plan to use the explorer :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need a good bit of trimming up front. My 265's rub when flexing if the wheel is turned. 285's will require a body lift to fit properly. Although there are people who fit 33's with just TT and shackles, each ex is a bit different. I assume you have the silver flares? Those get in the way for clearance and need trimmed.

with 285 75 16's and a Superlift,
13841_356668100164_713775164_10202955_7799334_n.jpg

ya my 265s clear easy in the front and do not rub turning lock to lock even at full compression, i even had a set of superswamper ssr's that i bolted up from my buddies ranger that didnt rub (265's) only rub inside of rear fender at full stuff. my cragars i ordered have 4in backspacing so we will see how that effects my clearance soon

WP_000451.jpg

WP_000446.jpg

WP_000445.jpg

I'd recommend a body lift like most do to clear 285s or 33s. How do you like those Kuhmo ATs, I had looked at them, they are pretty cheap.

oh and sport97 i know what you mean i trimmed my flares because i ran my 265's with no lift for about 2 weeks however the only spot it rubbed then was full compression in my rear wheel well. i need 4door leaves so it wont compress so far :D and mine only have 3000 miles on them right now but they impress me. they are quiet on road and off road they do well in the mud, have only been in snow once and havent had them on the rocks. so im not sure about sidewall strength yet either. but i bought them off tirerack for $656 shipped

Good to know, thanks. Trust me, you will like the 4 door leaf pack swap. Best mod i've done so far. I put an AAL in mine. It rides so much more controlled now.

my little brother ( who also has an explorer ) has a friend with a ranger with 285's on it, i can bolt one of his wheels and tires up and see how they fit. if i bl i want only 2inches. and no problem!

my little brother ( who also has an explorer ) has a friend with a ranger with 285's on it, i can bolt one of his wheels and tires up and see how they fit. if i bl i want only 2inches. and no problem!

Thats what I would try. Also read the true measurements of the tires. Not all tires of the same size are actually equal in measurements. So a "smaller" 285 could fit better than a larger 285. I'm interested to see how they fit, because I've had the itch for more lift and more rubber.

I have a friend with a ranger an 285s as well. No body lift. His torsion bars are so cranked the alignment is all jacked up. I'm sure his CV joints are screaming.

ya i know that my i mentioned those ssr's above! although my kumho's and the ssr's are both 31.8 inches tall the ssr's are about half inch wider with more tread

really guys nobody has some explorers on 285's? i need some input and some pictures

I had 285/75R16 Terra Grapplers with stock wheels on my Explorer Sport. I only did about a 1" TT up front and F150 rear leaf conversion, which gave me an inch or so of lift out back. No trimming was needed. They looked pretty stuffed in there, but the only rubbing was on the front sway bar at full lock.

24407360016_large.jpg

0620091406.jpg

Playing in the snow....crappy cell phone video.
This was 6" of fresh powdery snow in the unplowed part of the parking lot at work.
th_Vid_clip.jpg

lookin good guys

you running a 2 or 3 Inch bl on pickle??? Looks great

3" BL on Pickle with shackles & TT and 285/75/16

This is my UK 97 XL on 265/75/16s with shackle & TT

24072009007.jpg

Si

Back