getting BW 1354 or 4406 or other elec transfer case to work | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

getting BW 1354 or 4406 or other elec transfer case to work

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No other than the little lift from the Monroe coilovers im stock height

Im back inside the house now at the kitchen table with a v8 and my sohc gems im gonna take a look inside

Lmao, well that got me alot of nothing, im sure there are plenty of people on here that would look at that and know what there looking at but not me.

For anyone looking to do this swap, I helped a buddy convert his AWD 2002 4.6 Explorer to M5OD-R2 5 speed and a electronic 4406.

Initially we used information in this thread and elsewhere to hook up some LEDs to the motor position lines, and a DPDT toggle for the motor. It worked, but it was finicky and shifting while driving was out of the question. jds3403, you are close with the signals from the position sender, but not quite there. There is no single wire that says what position you are in, it's a combination of 2 wires on, 2 wires off for each position. These wires can also give you mid-shift positions, and the edges between each position.
Here's a link, about halfway down the page is a table showing position data

Now I've developed a circuit board that allows proper shifting (on the fly even), custom LED indicators, and allows the use of the original Ford 4x4 switch (the 02 switch isn't rotary, its 3 buttons all linked to one wire).

02+ switch:
QQh69m2.jpg

Anyone who is interested, I can share my designs and you can make the board. It cost me $40 for 3 boards, plus about $66 for the components on the boards, so the cost to make this for yourself is around $35 (if you can make only one).

I had to order a minimum of 3 boards when I had them made by a PCB company, so I've got two extra that I may try to sell here for cost, but I'm not sure if it's worth paying to become an elite member for just those two.

EQJY7nul.jpg

You connect 12v, GND, and the two motor connections to the 4 big solder pads at the top, and then hook up your signal wires (switch, position sensors, LEDS) to the 10 pin header in the lower left. Logic is provided by a 5v Arduino Pro Mini ($10, included in the cost calculations above)

I haven't added the programming yet, but it's possible to add VSS input and lock out transfer case shifting based on speed. Or add brake pedal input and do the same. The Arduino is upgradable, takes a few seconds to update it's programming. I have the sketch available for anyone interested in making one of these also.

It would be very easy to add support for the older rotary 4x4 switch, if anyone wanted to use this in an older Explorer.

For anyone looking to do this swap, I helped a buddy convert his AWD 2002 4.6 Explorer to M5OD-R2 5 speed and a electronic 4406.

Initially we used information in this thread and elsewhere to hook up some LEDs to the motor position lines, and a DPDT toggle for the motor. It worked, but it was finicky and shifting while driving was out of the question. jds3403, you are close with the signals from the position sender, but not quite there. There is no single wire that says what position you are in, it's a combination of 2 wires on, 2 wires off for each position. These wires can also give you mid-shift positions, and the edges between each position.
Here's a link, about halfway down the page is a table showing position data

Now I've developed a circuit board that allows proper shifting (on the fly even), custom LED indicators, and allows the use of the original Ford 4x4 switch (the 02 switch isn't rotary, its 3 buttons all linked to one wire).

02+ switch:
QQh69m2.jpg

Anyone who is interested, I can share my designs and you can make the board. It cost me $40 for 3 boards, plus about $66 for the components on the boards, so the cost to make this for yourself is around $35 (if you can make only one).

I had to order a minimum of 3 boards when I had them made by a PCB company, so I've got two extra that I may try to sell here for cost, but I'm not sure if it's worth paying to become an elite member for just those two.

EQJY7nul.jpg

You connect 12v, GND, and the two motor connections to the 4 big solder pads at the top, and then hook up your signal wires (switch, position sensors, LEDS) to the 10 pin header in the lower left. Logic is provided by a 5v Arduino Pro Mini ($10, included in the cost calculations above)

I haven't added the programming yet, but it's possible to add VSS input and lock out transfer case shifting based on speed. Or add brake pedal input and do the same. The Arduino is upgradable, takes a few seconds to update it's programming. I have the sketch available for anyone interested in making one of these also.

It would be very easy to add support for the older rotary 4x4 switch, if anyone wanted to use this in an older Explorer.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for that input.

I appreciate the research of the wiring that several people have done over the years. I hope to use this thread to put together a control switch etc, for my BW 4406 TOD. I have the 98 Expedition GEM if I was to need it(I was thinking of the 4WD board inside), and the 2003ish Expedition 4WD switch(which matches the Explorer 95-01 switches for positions, but has the one extra). I plan to make that switch mount to my bezel, and leave the far left position(2WD) unmarked. Then given the right controls(electronics), the three normal A4WD positions will match the OEM label on the bezel, and the extra 2WD choice will be off to the left one extra bit(unknown but to the person who knows it's there).

Wow i forgot about this thread , i did get the 4406 e-shift installed , used the gem from the sohc , didnt have to move the tank , did have to mod the hell out of the front tank mount but it all fit very well and worked well , but i guess i was too hard on it and it broke so i switched to a manual shift 4406

Wow i forgot about this thread , i did get the 4406 e-shift installed , used the gem from the sohc , didnt have to move the tank , did have to mod the hell out of the front tank mount but it all fit very well and worked well , but i guess i was too hard on it and it broke so i switched to a manual shift 4406

You broke it, what happened? Did you take it apart and check it out?

Not yet, i beat the crap out of it and it was a used one i didnt do anything for other that fresh fluid , its in the corner of my shop but ill mess with it this winter , the e-shift 4406s are really cheap around here but i had the manual one so its in there now

Gotcha, mine is cleaned up but I've never opened it, supposed to have 59k on it. I might ought to find another one and rebuild one or both.

Back