getting ready for a long haul | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

getting ready for a long haul

:usa:im planning on going on a 1300 mile round trip next week, i will be towing an unloaded car trailer, about 2200 ibs, for the first 650 miles than on the way back it will be loaded and should weigh around 6000 ibs. this will be mainly all highway with some hills. my truck is a 1996 4.0 with 4.5 inches of lift, 33s, 4.10 gear ratio, and air shocks with 225k miles on it, the last time i changed my trans fluid was 50k miles ago, so my question is what are some things i should do to prepare my truck for this trip?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never heard of a V6 Explorer having more than 5000 lbs MAX tow rating. Maybe 5500 (?). But that's with absolutely nothing but a driver in the Explorer.
Either way, the first thing I would do is secure the use of a vehicle with at least 6500 lbs towing capacity.

If you believe that the 4.10 gearing gives you more capacity (I don't), you might convince yourself otherwise. But if that's the case, then please, please, please...be sure that this trailer has it's own braking system. If surge brakes, make sure they have been maintained, and test them (with the manual apply lever).
If they are electric brakes, then your Explorer will need a bunch of extra wiring installed, and an electric brake controller installed, in order to work those brakes.

If you try a 6000 lbs trailer with functioning brakes, you are taking a moderate to high risk.
If you try 6000 lbs without functioning trailer brakes, it's a death wish for you and anyone else on the highway.

the trailer has electric brakes and i wired my truck for them years ago i tow this trailer on 2 hour trips all the time with my truck nd ive never had a problem braking i have had a problem driving around a mountain nd the od light started flashing on the dash i pulled over let it cool down nd went on my way. so my question is what precautions should i take not to be stuck o0n the side of the road with a blown trans

Probably too late, but heat is the #1 killer of trannys. How about installing an after market cooler? I use a B&M Super cooler for my C4 tranny for the last 5 years with no problems. But then again, no where near a load that you'll be towing.
Also, I see more cars/trucks on the side of the road with trailer wheel bearings shot then transmissions. Have you checked them lately?

Your truck has already cried "UNCLE!!" due to overloading.
It's just a matter of time, if you continue to tow overloaded.

:)

well im back from the trip she did great towed mainly at 70 mph gps said average speed of 65 the only problem i really ran into was off the highway on some hills but over all i was impressed. i think im going to go with a monster built transmition when i do a v8 swap. Explorer FTW :D

Keep on spinning that revolver's cylinder. You find the bullet eventually.

Back