Ghost Shadow Under Door LED Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ghost Shadow Under Door LED Lights

LakersCentral

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
These go by many various names... but seemingly "Ghost" and/or "Shadow" is always in the title. They install under the door, and shine down as puddle lamps do, but with an image / logo instead of a plain light. Here are ones with a Ford logo: http://amzn.to/1xNhIc6

I've bought some and looking to install, but not sure where to connect the wires. I figured I would just tap into the wires that run the side mirror puddle lamps. I may even remove the puddle lamp bulbs, as to not drown out the logo image with another light source, or potentially overload the circuit (though these single LED projectors are very low power).

I'll keep this post updated as I go. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing? Most installation videos I've seen on other cars tap into other (harder to reach) power sources, because they don't have side mirror puddle lamps. It seems it would be much easier to do on Explorers, as the puddle lamp already functions the exact way wanted for the ghost lights.

Attachments

• ghost lights.jpg
    ghost lights.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,915

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mustangs with the pony package have the same thing. Our 2013 does. I will check those forums to see how it's wired...

I believe the Lincoln MKC also has item.

Peter

Well that was a pain in the a$$!

But got one done:

Attachments

• IMG_3448.jpg
    IMG_3448.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 1,069

If anyone *really* wants to do this (I don't recommend it, tho I do get a lot of compliments on them)... here's a couple notes:

1. The hole centerpoint should be drilled 155mm from the midpoint of the inner 7mm bolt (the one closest to door hinge). This places the light to the side of the door panel's cupholder where there is a void. It should also be 70mm out from the door panel. This allows the light to not be clipped off by the door panel. I made the mistake of only going 60mm out (then 65mm on the other side)- both were slightly clipped.
  2. The wires for the puddle light are: purple (+) and black w/ yellow stripe (-/ground)(solid black for drivers side).
  3. There's a small raised line of plastic on the inside of the door panel where you'll be drilling the hole. It'll have to be trimmed back a little for the light to fit flush with the door panel.
  4. I'd recommend using some wire connectors to make the lights detachable. This way the lights can be easily removed/replaced. Also, the wire could use some extra length to allow some slack and not have to work with as tight of a tolerance. Both of these things require extra parts and time soldering, however. I didn't do this, but will add this if/when I change them out.
  5. Get some of this tape to seal electrical connections up: http://amzn.to/1zfupPa . Its stretchy, not sticky like electrical tape, and binds very well to itself.

YMMV- not sure if wire coloring schemes are the same across different models, or if ghost lights have a standard light spread. Proceed AYOR and adjust if necessary.

A few more pics:

Attachments

• IMG_3423.jpg
    IMG_3423.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 969
  • IMG_3421.jpg
    IMG_3421.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 998
  • IMG_5904.jpg
    IMG_5904.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 948
  • IMG_3416.jpg
    IMG_3416.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 1,124

Man, you have too much time on your hands Lakers:D Heck, I'd just like to get my SCT tune and Meth kit installed that's been sitting in a box in my closet for waaaay to long:( Work busy, kids busy, remodeling the house means theres always a giant mess asnd some contractor to meet with. Lets trade E Sports for a week and i'll pay you your going labor rate:thumbsup:

Haha. Got no kids, got no wife, got no house. My Ex is my girlfriend. I treat her nice ;)

It really wasn't too bad. I just didn't have a guide for the first door, so some time was spent figuring stuff out. Took maybe an hour on the other side.

Looking for puddle light containing Ford logo....any ideas

Was hoping for someone to recommend what they used

placed an order for these ghost puddle lights

Back