Going in soon to have codes pulled to evaluate Check Engine light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going in soon to have codes pulled to evaluate Check Engine light

HazelHelen

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Eddie Bauer
in recently acquired 94 Explorer. I know that the OBD system doesn't apply - I think it uses ESS system? Is a mechanic even going to be able to do this??

Previous owner had it deeply investigated and never found the problem so I am nervous. I am in CA and need to pass a smog check in order to be able to register and use this car that I actually adore.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's EEC-IV, and any Ford dealer should be able to scan live data on it plus check your codes etc. You can also jumper your service port in the engine bay and turn the key on to initiate the code flashing sequence yourself. If you're unaware of the process, it's a very common thing to search for and find on here. Hope this helps!

yes EEC-IV or OBD-1 codes can be checked with a paper clip
OR
you can buy a $25 code reader at the auto parts store

Welcome to the forum, we love the Gen I trucks here (91-94)

yes EEC-IV or OBD-1 codes can be checked with a paper clip
OR
you can buy a $25 code reader at the auto parts store

Welcome to the forum, we love the Gen I trucks here (91-94)

Oh thank you for the tip about the code reader! I do feel capable of that much, at least. Interpreting the codes is another matter, lol.

Back