Going "offroad" in a 2002 Explorer Sport 4x2, in the sand, what do I do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going "offroad" in a 2002 Explorer Sport 4x2, in the sand, what do I do?

Todd82TA

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport 4x2
Hey guys,

I bought a 2002 Ford Explorer 2Dr Sport w/ 35k miles about a month ago. It's more or less my daily driver and i've been really happy with it so far.

Ideally, I had wanted to get a 4x4, but I simply couldn't find one that was in good shape, anywhere near me, and in my time frame to buy.

So I'm wondering how "capable" my NON 4x4 Explorer will be in the sand?

I own a piece of property that I'd like to begin improving upon (planting, etc...) and there's about a 1/4 of a mile drive on straight, dry sand.

I went up there last time and I borrowed my parents 2004 Ford Escape (also NOT a 4x4). It was pretty difficult to get around and I had to really be careful. The car almost got stuck a couple of times. There were a few other cars around the area that had also gotten stuck (a Dodge Neon, don't know WHAT that guy was thinking).

So I'm just curious what the best plan to traverse this road would be. I guess what I'm asking is what I need to do? I think I remember reading that I need to let some of the air out of my tires so that it increases my contact patch. What all can / should I bring with me in case I get stuck? I have a portable air compressor so I can pump the tires back up.

Also, I am going to need new rear tires soon, and I read something about some good street tires that also have off-road capability. Something about them having "teeth" on the sidewall which helps in offroading. Would anyone recommend any special kinds of tires for my car too? Something that gets decent fuel economy, but also would work well for the occasional off-roading?

Thanks!!!

Todd,
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr

Cant really go wrong with the BFG All Terrains - just air down to like 15 PSI and you should be good to go on the sand. Just keep some momentum through the sand "ruts" and you should have no problem. Sand ladders would obviously help when you do get stuck, but they are costly and I'm sure you can piece together a ghetto version from your local hardware store.

Cant really go wrong with the BFG All Terrains - just air down to like 15 PSI and you should be good to go on the sand. Just keep some momentum through the sand "ruts" and you should have no problem. Sand ladders would obviously help when you do get stuck, but they are costly and I'm sure you can piece together a ghetto version from your local hardware store.

Thanks! I'll check them out and see how much I can get them for at TireRack.

Old pieces of carpet or your floor mats will work in a pinch to help get you unstuck. Just throw them down in front or behind the rear tires and they will make a semi solid surface to get traction on. This also works in snow.

Back