Going to do 100k service. Best place to order parts from? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going to do 100k service. Best place to order parts from?

Cali XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Ventura, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
Where do you guys order your parts from?

I'm at 98k, so I'm going to take my Explorer in for an oil change (synthetic), as well as a coolant flush. Then I'm going to replace the spark plugs and PCV valve myself.

Just wondering where to order the parts from. I've checked a few websites, but they seem to be pretty expensive.

What's the typical price for these parts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like RockAuto.com as they tend to have the best prices, even with shipping, as well as outstanding customer service. They're also an EF vendor and if you google, you can find the codes for a 5% discount.

1AAuto.com is another EF vendor and they're great too.

I like RockAuto.com as they tend to have the best prices, even with shipping, as well as outstanding customer service. They're also an EF vendor and if you google, you can find the codes for a 5% discount.

1AAuto.com is another EF vendor and they're great too.
Thanks, I'll check them out.
have you changed your tranny fluid at all? if not, definitely change that and the filter.

I actually just bought it this Saturday. I have all the service records though, so I'll go through them and see what has been done.

I think I'm going to check with Ford about the latest flash update.. the tranny shifts with a clunk (only when selecting gears, not while driving) and I think I read the latest software fixes that.

X2 for Rockauto. Hard to run up town and beat rockauto's prices shipped to the door.

Huh, guess I don't have ALL of the service records. I should have checked more thoroughly.. they only go up to 2008, so I have no idea what services have been performed for the past 40k or so miles.

At 31k, the transmission was replaced.

Got an oil change this evening, will be buying some parts tonight. Have to order the PCV valve, but the spark plugs and air filter (air filter is FILTHY) at Auto Zone for the same price (thereabouts) as online.

One thing though, the rear differential fluid had metal shavings in it (was kinda greyish/sparkly), so I'm bringing it into a shop to have it inspected. It was actually making a whine noise last night, but it went away. Regardless, good idea to have it inspected.

The transmission is sealed, so they couldn't change the fluid, so I guess I have to take it to the dealer for that?

Add my vote to rockauto.com - I get 90% of my parts there.

if you are at all mechanically inclined, you could read some threads on here and make a tool yourself and perform the change yourself as well. takes maybe a half hour the first time you do it.

I can do some work myself, but I hate working with fluids and getting under the vehicle. I'd rather someone else do that.

a good tranny shop or mechanic should be able to do it. call the dealer to see what they charge and get a few estimates. even dealers pricing varies as i have found with a few things i have needed recently.

Oh man, read some threads on the tranny... hope I didn't make a mistake buying this vehicle.

I did the same thing after buying mine. So far so good.

Back