got my explorer sunk in some water and wont turn over anymore | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

got my explorer sunk in some water and wont turn over anymore

canadian

Reaction score
City, State
edmonton
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited
i was out bootin around in the feilds and decided going through this puddle was a good idea... we got 3/4 of the way through then the vehicle shut off and i got stuck so had to sit there for a while and when it got pulled out the water the vehicle would no longer turn over.. it was up to the top of the rims in water.. the vehicle has power.. it just makes a click when i turn the key but the engine will not turn over.. i am not very mechanically inclined at all so I was here looking for some advice...

take the spark plugs out to let the water drain out

probably will need to change the engine oil and front diff oil.

if that swamp water had other nasty bits in it.. and if the water has been in there a long while... it may never run the same again.

U might want to put a breaker bar on the crank and try to turn it by hand. It could have messed up your starter. Maybe u r lucky and didn't bend a rod if it is hydrolocked.

Check the fuses and relays under the hood in the black power distribution box.

Also pull all the spark plugs and then try jumping the starting solenoid on the fender by the battery to see if it will turn over. if it dose let it turn a few times to see and get all water out of the cylinders then also as others said change you oil and filter but I would also do the tranny fluid and front and rear differentials. Would not hurt to clean and repack the wheel bearings too.

I learned a long time a go that water and playing in it dose bad things to gear sets and wheel bearings if you do not clean / change / repack and dry them all out. had a rear end go at hwy speed from it rusting out and I thought it was the drive line as its what gave me the most problems after that I could not keep a set of u joints in it tell I had a new shaft made for me then I could not blow them after that but lesson learned and it also ended my mudding days as it got to expensive to do with a DD.
Aw to be young again what thats also when I did not have money so forget it LOL.

Back