• Register Today It's free!

Greasey wheel

alohamonte

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0 4x4
Noticed inside of rear drivers side tired was greasey during a routine wheel rotation and balance. I dropped it off at a shop today. Thinking it's the axle seal.

If it is, would it be wise to replace the seals on both sides? What about the bearing, should I have the wheel bearings replaced while it's apart?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, and it is also a good time to replace all of the emergency brake stuff, since it really needs to be removed when pulling the axles out.

I would definitely do both seals. They've both traveled the same distance. The bearings are a toss up in my opinion. They can last several 100,000 miles and sometimes they wear out quite a bit sooner. If you end up replacing them w/in a year you'll wish you'd changed them when you had the seals done as that's much of the labor involved.

Grease as-in really grease or a thin/wet oily residue? Have you determined it's not just the brake cylinder?

You might get quotes from the shop doing the work, single vs both seals plus with and without new bearings, though this isn't terribly hard to DIY in an afternoon.

Yes, might as well do both seals and bearings if the shop cost is reasonable. These are only $10-15 ea. parts but who knows what they'd want to charge, for them to supply the parts. The labor is more expensive than the parts.

Grease as-in really grease or a thin/wet oily residue? Have you determined it's not just the brake cylinder?

You might get quotes from the shop doing the work, single vs both seals plus with and without new bearings, though this isn't terribly hard to DIY in an afternoon.

Yes, might as well do both seals and bearings if the shop cost is reasonable. These are only $10-15 ea. parts but who knows what they'd want to charge, for them to supply the parts. The labor is more expensive than the parts.

Good point about it possibly being brake fluid. As far as what shops charge when they supply the parts, I've seen shops jack up the price of parts by as much as 60% and they're buying them at a discount auto parts store, so they're no better quality then what you'd buy (maybe worse).

Good point about it possibly being brake fluid. As far as what shops charge when they supply the parts, I've seen shops jack up the price of parts by as much as 60% and they're buying them at a discount auto parts store, so they're no better quality then what you'd buy (maybe worse).

also, around here they tend to buy the parts from whoever can deliver it quickest, to move the vehicle out the door.

it's the seals. they want to do both seals, pads on both sides, and the emergency shoes. with fluid, it's $200 parts $300 labor. I think that's fair enough. I asked about the bearings and he said, he's always left them alone if they are working.

it's the seals. they want to do both seals, pads on both sides, and the emergency shoes. with fluid, it's $200 parts $300 labor. I think that's fair enough. I asked about the bearings and he said, he's always left them alone if they are working.

I guess that's fair to have someone else do it.

Parts to do it yourself:
Seals around $10-12 for Motorcraft
Synthetic gear oil 75W140 $35-40
Friction modifier if LSD $10-12
Rear brake pads $20-40
Parking brake hardware $10
Brake fluid if he's flushing the system (which he should do) $10-15
Plus brake/parts cleaner and RTV

I'd definitely do both seals and, like the shop, probably skip the bearings. New brake parts too. I'd also probably save a few hundred bucks and do it myself in 1 evening. Pulling the axles to change those seals is pretty simple.

The original seals lasted 240,000 miles so I can't complain. $500 is full price but it's not a rip off price.

I have to pay unfortunately. I don't have the space, time, or tools to do this job. I also hate working with auto fluids, since I always manage to take a bath in them, stain the driveway, and ruin my clothes. :D

I have to pay unfortunately. I don't have the space, time, or tools to do this job. I also hate working with auto fluids, since I always manage to take a bath in them, stain the driveway, and ruin my clothes. :D

That's worth the price of admission right there.

I just paid $2200 to do an engine swap and that included pulling out and replacing all the front suspension. Money well spent IMO.

And I'm a diy-er

My sig says AZ but I've been living in Los Angeles the last 2 years and have minimal space to DIY unfortunately.

So I got the truck back, and it's great. The back end is super quiet and the brakes are tight. I bet the seals have been leaking for weeks or months.

Back