Grinding and clunking sound in 4x4 low speed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grinding and clunking sound in 4x4 low speed?

onion478

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer xlt
Just bought this 05 xlt 4.6 and noticed yesterday when in 4x4 and in drive at very low speed (idling just creeping along) there is a grinding and clunking sound towards the front end. any suggestions of what to look for. any help would be appreciated.

You say 4 x 4 low speed. Do you mean that you have selected any 4 x 4 (low or high) and just driving at a slow speed. If this is happening when driving straight and not turning I would be concerned but if this is happening when turning it is normal. When I am driving down our long snow packed driveway I will have it in 4 x 4 high so that it is not kicking in and out when the tires start to spin. As soon as I get to the end where I have to turn I first put it back to 4 x 4 auto to avoid any clunking.

going straight, i know wheel bearing needs replaced, going to do that now but i think it is another issue but will see after i change the hub. thanks for reply

There is a TSB on 4x4 at low speed. Don't have it at the moment. Starts out with 'Ford sucks.' Don't know why I own 3 ex's.

Back