• Register Today It's free!

Grinding noise

stuartr

Reaction score
City, State
Richlands, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 02 Mounty 4.0 AWD with about 105K on it. I have recently noticed a noise in the front. Sounds like it from the tranny/transfercase area up to around the front axle. I say this because I can't track it down. Just it is in the front portion of the ride. It is a driventrain noise, not from the motor. Seems like it is the loudest at about 40MPH and don't really change if you go into a curve. That leads me to say it isn't a wheel bearing. They will usually get better and worse from one side to another in a hard turn. It makes sorta a Wa-Wa-Wa sound. Not really a grinding sound. I can't seem to feel it. I wanted to get under it today and look somemore but 8in or so of snow and no place to get in the dry stopped me. I did check the gear oil in front and rear axles both good. I was wondering if it could be maybe a U-joint? One of the ones in the front driveline. Anybody got an clue. I am stumped on this one. Thanks a bunch in advance for the help.

STU

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nevermind, it was a rear wheel bearing. Mounty is setting on the side of the 4-lane right now! So oh well.

STU

Sorry to hear that. Did it freeze up on you so you couldn't drive it or what?

Oh no, it just wobbled and was throwing sparks my Dad saw them he was behind me!

STU

Stu, that stinks. Were you able to get it back home?

Nope, still sitting there 3 tires and a new addition of a jack stand! I am having trouble finding the backing plate behind the hub that houses the emerg. brake and the brakes and links bolt to. I hope to get one tomorrow though. So may be back running soon.

STU

Sorry to hear that man. Hope you get it back on the road soon.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Like clock work the rear wheel bearing went on my '02 @85k miles. I don't have the energy, will nor time to do it, plus its cold out and I just finished with other car work. I threw up my hands and had Pepboys do the job for me. The were able to replace just the bearings and not the flange/hub assembly. Only my left rear one was grinding, but they replaced both.

Here is what they look like. BTW you will need a LARGE press to press these suckers in and out:

IMG_0048-2.jpg

good luck.

Just did my right rear last month. Wa wa wa sound. Bought a harbor freight 12 ton press to do them myself after being down this road with my 02's wheel bearing so many times. Good luck

Stu, you got it back home yet?

Nope, should be getting the backer plate tomorrow and getting her back on the road. I hope anyway! I hate being broke down. Been out railroading 6 days a week 8-12 hrs a day. Hard to do much more than that.

STU

Hitchhikingmike, is your '02 a 2wd, 4wd,or awd? Just curious, 'cause my '02 v8 2wd is just at 80k and I hear only a slight whine from the rear of mine (on my 3rd rear end since new). In another 10k miles I'll probably have to R&R the rear end again. Sorry to see how burned up one of your wheel bearings looks 'cause from what I read on the forum that's probably what will happen to mine, too, in a while. By the way, is there any way to make them live a little longer? My '02 is just a daily commuter and has only been on 2 road trips (to White Sands and back).

Nope, should be getting the backer plate tomorrow and getting her back on the road. I hope anyway! I hate being broke down. Been out railroading 6 days a week 8-12 hrs a day. Hard to do much more than that.

STU

Hang in there man. She'll be up and running soon.

Hitchhikingmike, is your '02 a 2wd, 4wd,or awd? Just curious, 'cause my '02 v8 2wd is just at 80k and I hear only a slight whine from the rear of mine (on my 3rd rear end since new). In another 10k miles I'll probably have to R&R the rear end again. Sorry to see how burned up one of your wheel bearings looks 'cause from what I read on the forum that's probably what will happen to mine, too, in a while. By the way, is there any way to make them live a little longer? My '02 is just a daily commuter and has only been on 2 road trips (to White Sands and back).

My Ex is an '02 V6 2wd. I still have my original rear end, I contribute that to changing the diff oil every 20k miles max. My rear bearings were only making a slight whine as well, I even thought it was just the new tires I put on and didn't notice the sound until my brother pointed it out. I shrugged it off believing it was the tires until I had all fours in the air during a transmission preventative maintenance procedure when the bearings were LOUD in the garage with the wheels spinning in the air then I knew, bearings are shot. Its odd how the grinding sound is much more loud with no load on the bearing.

Well back on the road again! I put the brake backer plate i got from the junk yard in and the bearing felt smooth so I put it in as well as a whole pc. I hope the bearing will make it to spring when I hope to put one in both sides.

STU

Stu, glad you're back in the saddle! :thumbsup:

Back