• Register Today It's free!

Grocery Getter Refresh

Redwoodwalker

Reaction score
City, State
Pelahatchie, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
The wife's Mounty is creeping up on 200k miles and it's starting to show. So it's time for a refresh. Got a few items on the fix list, and several items on the upgrade list. First things first, I had the windshield replaced, and then got on discounttire.com and picked out a set of rims and tires.

Specs on the new setup: 16x8.5 wheels with -6 offset, 255/70R16 tires

THIS:
MGalleryItem.php

PLUS THIS:
MGalleryItem.php

GETS YOU THIS:
MGalleryItem.php

MGalleryItem.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not too shabby!!! What are the next plans?

I've got 163,000 on mine and it's about to get all new wheel bearings and cleaning up as well.

Gonna do a cat back, cold air, a programmer, and a limited slip for performance. Cosmetics are gonna include a set of Husky Mats, a double din bluetooth head unit, vent shades, Coverking seat covers, and tint the windows. Also gonna replace the class 2 receiver with a heavier model and add some front tow hooks. It's got a perpetual ABS light from a front right hub shining, a door ajar from the right front door, a lock/unlock button that won't unlock, and a broken lever on the air door that controls defrost/vent flow. Little annoying stuff, but the drivetrain is strong and smooth....

Trying to sell my old Dodge to buy the wife something a little more fuel efficient. After that I'm gonna take over this one. When that happens, it's losing the Hello Kitty stickers....

The door lock issue is prolly a ground wire....tap a ground and test it

The door lock issue is prolly a ground wire....tap a ground and test it

Gotta get time to sit down and run it down. I'll keep the thread updated....

Not too shabby!!! What are the next plans?

I've got 163,000 on mine and it's about to get all new wheel bearings and cleaning up as well.

I've looked at a lot of Explorers on this site, and by far yours is one of my favorites....

Cleared the ABS light by replacing the hub assembly. Also replaced the other hub, and have a set of inner tie rods going on in the next couple of weekends. Put on a set of new fog lights, and replaced the door switch on the passenger side to clear the door ajar light.

Added a front tag holder, replaced the driver door switch panel, and replaced a few other tiny odds and ends of plastic that we picked up at the local pull a part.

MGalleryItem.php

Ran down the lock/unlock issue on the driver door controls. Pink/green wire broken in the boot between the door and the body. A soldered in piece of wire fixed it. Also got the inner tie rods in. The proper tools on that job works wonders. Taking it for a FEA next weekend. Also, all the trim pieces on the doors had broken off. Came up with a fix. A bit redneck, but looks better than no trim.....

MGalleryItem.php

MGalleryItem.php

Coverking Seat Covers!

MGalleryItem.php

MGalleryItem.php

Where did you get those seat covers? they look like they fit pretty well

Those are nice. I'm looking to spruce up my Explorer EB this year. In the shop now for a rear diff rebuild.

They fit like a glove. Really well made, no slippage getting in and out. Coverking Neosupreme covers... Bought from vipseatcovers on ebay for under $200.

They fit like a glove. Really well made, no slippage getting in and out. Coverking Neosupreme covers... Bought from vipseatcovers on ebay for under $200.

Did you just get the front seats?

Yep. The back seats are fine.....

Tried a Superchips Vivid Linq and a Edge EvoHT. Apparently a Mercury won't pass as a Ford according to the programmer and neither company bothered to check that before selling their product that it would... Sent 'em both back and gave up on programming it.

I ended up going with an Android app called Torque for system monitoring (trans temp, fuel mileage, etc). Had to buy a bluetooth dongle, a hardwire charger, and a phone mount for an old Galaxy S I had laying around the house. Got about $60 in the whole project.

It has performance monitoring capabilities, also..... (not too shabby for a underpowered fat girl...)

MGalleryItem.php

I have that same app. I think it works great for the cost. I bough the app for 4.95 and the dongle off ebay for 12.00 bucks. So what you think about it so far?

Love it! Took a little while to set down and get everything set up the way I want it, but it's well worth any money you sink into it!

Added a phone mount and some tunes w/ talkability...

MGalleryItem.php

MGalleryItem.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been working on getting it ready for camping season, plus a few other little odds and ends.

Polished the headlights with some toothpaste
MGalleryItem.php

MGalleryItem.php

Installed a front receiver hitch
MGalleryItem.php

MGalleryItem.php

Installed a class 3 rear receiver, brake controller, and connector
MGalleryItem.php

Hooked up, tested, and ready to go
MGalleryItem.php

Back