• Register Today It's free!

Ground straps 95 Explorer

Ffranzwa

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee. KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
While I was underneath our Explorer replacing the front differential, I noticed that two ground straps, located underneath the driver and passengers feet, were completely rusted through and are unattached to the body. The power windows started working intermittently about two years ago and lately (prior to the front diff change) the ABS light is on and the 4X4 lights flash on and off. I have taken both front door panels off 3 times, as well as inspecting the power supply wires that run through the chassis and door sills, looking for a frayed power window wire, but have found nothing. Could these ground straps be the cause of the windows and warning lights? I replaced both of the front spindle bearings when I replaced the front diff, yet the ABS and 4x4 lights are bright as ever. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doubtful.

Shift motor could be bad, and stuck in a position that is triggering the 4x4 light.

If you replaced both hub assemblies, the rear diff abs sensor could be bad, or just dirty.

As far as the windows goes, the master switch panel or a bad wire in the jamb canister for it are known items to go bad.

There are fix it threads here for all these items.

Doubtful.

Shift motor could be bad, and stuck in a position that is triggering the 4x4 light.

If you replaced both hub assemblies, the rear diff abs sensor could be bad, or just dirty.

As far as the windows goes, the master switch panel or a bad wire in the jamb canister for it are known items to go bad.

There are fix it threads here for all these items.
Thanks for the reply!

I don't think the body to chassis grounds would be causing all your electrical problems, but Ford put them there for a reason. You can get replacement ground wires from most auto parts stores. They are found in the help section. Make sure wherever you attach them to is cleaned of rust and any paint.

I don't think the body to chassis grounds would be causing all your electrical problems, but Ford put them there for a reason. You can get replacement ground wires from most auto parts stores. They are found in the help section. Make sure wherever you attach them to is cleaned of rust and any paint.
Thanks for the reply!

Back