GWNF Fall Wheeling Trip | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GWNF Fall Wheeling Trip

Micheal, yeah i've wanted on board air for a while, so i like it. I just wish i was going to beable to use it. Looks like i'm not going to beable to make it. I'm sorry guys. We've got a job out of town this weekend through work, so i have to out on that. The list started huge on the amount of people that were coming but now it has slowing gone down. I'll be sure and look for the pictures on here. You all have fun and be careful.

Happy trails!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear that Josh. You were really excited about the trip and kept me going! We'll be thinking about ya while we're out there. Is your brother still coming?

My brother is coming home this weekend so I won't be able to stay with him. Looks like I'll just drive up there early Saturday morning and leave that night. The dealership will be aligning my front end tomorrow, so that won't be a problem for me anymore.

Thanks for that tip, donkey. I rely on m debit card so much I probably won;t have thought about brining cash for gas. So I guess I will see you around 7, and the rest of all at 9ish.

Chris

DAMN GUYS!
I backed out of this trip a while ago when it looked like 20+ trucks were showing up. I prefer to keep it small, so I spread my mod schedule out because I no longer needed to be semi-modded by 9/11. Now, it looks like this trip may be perfect size. I wish I had known so I could have my truck drivable for the event.
Oh well, YOU GUYS HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE!!!

Robb

Well damn you for not planning ahead... haha just kidding. Too bad you couldn;t come, first time i am meeting any of yall.

John - If you need a place to crash Friday and/or Saturday, I have plenty of room here...

Robb - You were the one who came up with the idea for this trip....damn you for backing out!

Yeah i was really looking forward to coming. My brother said he was just going to stay home too. He's only been wheeling once and i was with him, so he's not quit use to it yet. Again, sorry fellas. I hope you all have a great time on the trails and take a bunch of pictures. I'll be looking for the write up.

Happy trails!!

Great run yesterday guys! I was excited to finally meet some of you in person and look forward to the next run! For all of you who weren't there, you missed a great time with virtually zero carnage to the Explorers (or Jeep!) and a Land Rover that can pull some amazing tricks! If you want pictures, my IM name is BLantzz - just go on there, go to Get File and download pics from GWNF 11-9-02. There are a lot of them, so it may take a while. If you want individaul pics of certain trucks, just let me know, I could e-mail a few to ya. Again, great run yesterday!

Whew, great day. I am glad I got to meet yall yesterday. I am also very thankful to everyone that spotted me on Dictum. I learned what my rig needs to become more trail ready, and that is definitly gears and lockers, and a tad bit more lift. No major carnage to any of us. VBVA had the "scraping" that he neglected as he lacks some ground clearance, but I must say he did awsome for a stocker and even attempted dictum's "the rock." Yob yeknom seemed to have a lot of fun too, first not wanting to get muddy, but I guess he just couldn;t resist. Donkey boy showed us what a WJ could do on the trails and I enjoyed hearing a lot of his stories that he told.

I notice this morning that I dented my frame where my tow hook was. I must have ran that into the rock on dictum. I hope we can get some good pics on here of my 2 pants-crapping experiences on Dictum. And I will climb that damn rock eventually!

donkey boy is fun to wheel with.... beating on the new jeep..... :D wish i could have made it would have love to wheel with you guys....

I had a great time yesterday and so did my friends that came with me. Can't wait to see some of those pictures. I need to finish my roll of film so I can get my pics developed.

Alright I compiled some pics and put them on my webpage. The pictures here are all from VBVASploder. I got my pictures develpoed but not scanned yet, so when I do I'll add them in.

Dead Link Removed

Had a good time Saturday, thanks guys. :D

We were running Old Long Run for warm-up. VBVASploder surprised me with his stock rig and fairly small and mild AT tires. I thought he at least had a LS in the rear - what he has not - so his performance just was proove of what an influance good driving skills and a disconnected rear sway bar can have. Isles4evr with his built rig and yob_yeknom with his tastefully modified rig obviously also did not encounter any problems.

We were planning on going down Dictum from Old Long, but were stopped by a note that Dictum trail is closed for maintenance between Second Mountain and the ridge. We decided to drive down the dirt road instead and to give Dictum a shot from Rt 33.

VBVASploder was first in giving the bypass a shot, but it became pretty clear that even with good driving, even the bypass of Dictum is one size too big for his Explorer. Next was Isles4evr, trying the real obstacle first. It was a no go, and we needed some muscle power to get him off these rocks keeping him captured. Thanks to two Land Rover Discos and a Yota which arrived when we were in full action, we had some more helping hands, but we soon would have the chance to return the favor. Chris tried the bypass and gave a perfect example of parallel parking :cool: Just, if you are perfectly parallel parked within an inch of a several foot drop off followed by a steep hill :eek: the situation was a kind of - hmm - "interesting". We got him out of there, but at times, half of his front wheel was actually over the drop-off. But he did good and did not even needed to change pants afterwards, but I think he lost about a gallon of sweat in these 30 minutes :D

Next was the modded Disco's turn (2" OME lift, 31" MT tires, well protected with skids, pumpkin savers and rockrails, but no lockers). With some serious pushing and some strategic rock placing, we got him up the bypass with just a couple of kissmarks from that tree (people knowing Dictum know which one ;) ) Way down he chose to go over the obstacle, which then, whith enough rocks on the right place(which were removed after the operation) was pretty uneventfull. He showed us what a mildly modded Disco can do, but he also gave us a reminder how easy it is to loose concentration between the main obstacles, busting his taillight when turning around for coming down.

yob-yeknom wanted some river crossings, so we proceeded to Dry River (thanks to VBVASploder, because I missed the trail entrance again). Due to the rain of the previous days Dry River was not very dry this time, so we had fun. A little further down the trail, we encountered some mud, and John somehow forgot that previously he said that he does not like mud too much :D :D Some tight twists between some puddles and trees later, we were back on Rt 33 punctually when daylight started fading fast, so no time for Kephart anymore. Which is a kind of good, so we have something to do next time ...

Thanks everyone, including John's friends. This was again good day, like at about all outings with people from this board.

Originally posted by 94EBexplorer
donkey boy is fun to wheel with.... beating on the new jeep..... :D wish i could have made it would have love to wheel with you guys....
:D The puddles now at Dry River were less deep than the ones we found at Connellsville, but the river was deeper :D But with the hight your Ex is at, you anyhow don't have to care too much how deep it is down there :D

i would have liked to try that dictim trail you are talkin of now that i am locked front and rear :D and got 36's

Originally posted by 94EBexplorer
i would have liked to try that dictim trail you are talkin of now that i am locked front and rear :D and got 36's
That would have been your only challenge. I am stock and had a pretty easy time with everything (besides some scraping) except for the Dictum rock, I couldn't do anything on that, even with the effort I put into it. You could have climbed up it though. Maybe next time you can come, Kephart has some good obstacles too.

Originally posted by donkey boy
yob_yeknom wis his tastefully modified rig
:) Sweet. :) You obviously have good taste. except for the Jeep :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back